Talk

Advanced search

Need help with Colour Scheme

(20 Posts)
SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:36:40

Hello,

Need help with our colour scheme. Can I use red if it is not part of the whole house colour scheme and still make it flow nicely?

Our Scheme colours are: Orange, Yellow-Orange, Yellow, Green, Green-Blue & Blue.

It flows nicely, but I wanted to include red too, as DD wants pink in her room and in another room there is red along with green in a curtain?

Can I add red to these to rooms and still make it flow?
Shall I remove Orange from the scheme and replace it with Orange? Can that even been done? Orange is the only colour we have not comitted to yet, as we own nothing in this colour?

Also will it work to have a different colour scheme upstairs (bedrooms & bathroom) and downstairs (living room, kitchen & WC)?

Thanks a bunch

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:38:26

Just a small edit, I meant to write: shall I remove Orange from the scheme and replace it with Red?

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 16:41:40

Wow you colour coordinate your whole house? Doesn't help you I realise but that seems hard work to me! Each room has its own colour theme in my house.

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:48:24

CordeliaFoxx, I know it's crazy! I usually get what I like and only decorate each room as I please, that led me to chaos before as I never think things through, so now that we are starting afresh, I wanted to add a bit of coordination...

You may be surprised though, most of us already follow the Colour scheme rules without even realizing it...

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 16:54:32

The only thing that flows in mine I suppose is cream. Hall/landing is red/blue/cream, living room plum/cream and kitchen is cream/yellow. dS1&3 bedroom red/white/black, ds2 bedroom lime green/white/black, mines pink and bathroom violet/white. Sounds awful when I write it down!

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:57:52

God my house doesn't flow at all!! My hall is a mismatch of colour (but I love it), lounge is red, brown and gold, kitchen/dining room is silver, charcoal and mint green, our bedroom is teal and pink, dds room is pink and blue and the bathroom is apple green and lilac.

I didn't even know colour coordinating your whole house was a thing! I'm impressed!

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:58:30

So you like Red, Blue and Purple, that is a good colour scheme and you have stuck to it in all the rooms.

Only the Green seems to be the colour used only in one room and not suiting the scheme...

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 17:00:13

Lj8893, that sounds like me ;-) Hence my current efforts...

Hobbes8 Sat 18-Jul-15 17:01:22

If you add red you'll have all the colours of the rainbow! I like lots of bright colours together, as long as they are of a similar tone. So I would pair bright yellow and hot pink, for example, but not with pastels.

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 17:11:03

Yes the green is what's remaining of a Ben 10 themed bedroom, due to be changed in the next few weeks if DS2 can decide what colour he would like instead!

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 17:11:33

thank you Hobbes8. That's what I was fearing...

Our walls are mostly greige with two rooms in yellow, one pastel and one more subdued, greyish yellow so up to there it is lovely.

DD's room is the pastel yellow one with a white print with pink, yellow & turquoise in her duvet and curtain...

I was thinking of emphasizing the turquoise and keeping the pink to the minimum (maybe a pillow in hot pink and that will be it)...

And for the room with red in the curtain, leaving the red to a minimum and adding orange to the mix to make it flow with the rest of the house

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 17:17:05

CordeliaFoxx, I would use red and blue for your DS bedroom, but ensure it is a different shade of blue and red than other rooms to attract interest.
I had seen a bedroom with that combination in a magazine and loved it. They had light blue walls, a pair of gingham blue and white curtains and used a wallpaper that had the red and the blue...

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 18:05:13

They get free reign in their bedroom decor, he's 10 and quite particular in what he likes!

SecondTimeMom14 Sat 18-Jul-15 18:08:11

You are a good mama CordeliaFoxx! Tend to control mine, but he is under 1, lol so no saying for now...

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 18:14:22

Obviously if it was something really horrendous I would say no, but so far I've not had too. I'd rather they had something they liked, I don't have to sleep in there!

CordeliaFoxx Sat 18-Jul-15 20:32:45

Thinking about your post I think you should go with the orange btw!

SecondTimeMom14 Sun 19-Jul-15 23:19:59

Thank you CordeliaFoxx!

Lol, I changed my mind yet again...
Now I'm thinking of using green, blue, red and yellow as the colour scheme for the whole house... I know I am crazy

Hallway: Yellow
WC: Yellow, Green
Kitchen: Blue, Green
Living Room: Blue, Green & Red (?)

DD Room: Blue (quilt & bedding), Yellow (Walls only) & Red (aka pink) accessories
DS Room: Blue & Red
Bedroom 3: Blue, Yellow with only a splash of red in picture and rug
Bedroom 4: Green & Red
Bathroom: Blue

I thought I could pull that off especially after seeing beautiful photos online with the scheme... Still thinking about it though...

CordeliaFoxx Sun 19-Jul-15 23:53:17

What sort of green? Green and red always makes me think of Christmas?

Are you going bright yellow? And what shades of blue? Sorry lots of questions but I love decorating and choosing colours etc

SecondTimeMom14 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:58:23

I thought of using various shades of all colours depending on the room to make it interesting.

It will be shades/tints of the pure red, yellow, green and blue though, not any green-blue, or yellowish green or violet red.

I have seen many magazines photos of how they combine the same colour in different shades even in the same room sometimes and it looks very interesting.

You can see one of my favorites on: jaynedesignstudio.com/projects/301
It is unlike my humble home, but I love how this designer combines so many colours in one room and still make it flow...

CordeliaFoxx Mon 20-Jul-15 16:22:49

The colour splashes are very subtle, I was imagining it a lot more intense, though as listed above my house is very colourful, the walls are the colours, not just accent colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now