Talk

Advanced search

What colour shall I paint whole house?

(9 Posts)
Grinstead Sun 12-Jul-15 20:44:37

Need to paint whole house and I want to paint most of it the same colour, one which is light but doesn't get too grubby too quickly ( 3 kids) - anyone got any ideas or even tips or even which paint to use?

Olecranon Mon 13-Jul-15 09:55:08

I have painted a lot of the house in fresh linen which is a homebase paint. Nice and light but hides the dirt more than white. I prefer homebase paint to dulux just now. It goes on with good coverage.

Karbea Mon 13-Jul-15 16:52:01

I've painted my living room in dulux chalky downs 5 and will probably paint the rest of the house in it as we decorate. It's smart and relaxing.

Mimiontherocks Tue 14-Jul-15 09:52:01

I would recommend Valspar paint from B&Q, it's a great paint. Really good coverage and a good colour match service too.

verystressedmum Tue 14-Jul-15 11:39:34

Dulux endurance or diamond is supposed to be good for wiping marks off.
I'm doing my hall, stairs and landing in dulux Almost Oyster. I've painted a few A4 sheets and stuck them all over the place and it's a nice neutral, light but still will contrast with the white skirting and architrave and go well with the oak doors and floors (hopefully). But that's just what I've got in my house. It doesn't seem to come in endurance but apparently a dulux decorating centre will make any paint colour in the diamond (so I've heard I haven't tried it myself).

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 15-Jul-15 05:21:39

If you want the same look throughout - then you should pick a colour that has shaded variants - so in brighter south facing rooms you use a deeper shade of that colour and in darker north facing or little natural light rooms you use the palest shade of that colour - when done well - the look of the colour will be consistent throughout the home this way !
Also if you keep any 'feature' colours within that spectrum ie a much darker shade on one wall or in alcoves etc it keeps it subtle - then add fresh colours in your accessories ( that can be changed with the season to keep an ever changing and interesting look ) this will keep your home feeling larger as all rooms will coordinate well and therefore flow better .HTH !

CamelHump Wed 15-Jul-15 05:59:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 16-Jul-15 18:20:24

Most recently have done it with a Spanish paint company's paints - a bit like dulux where you have a colour that's then faded into about 6 shades - worked really well .... Did it in my own home with different colours that all looked like gradients of each other - Egyptian Cotton lightest, down to moles breath as darkest .. With a few in between ( Manor House grey and a mixed dulux one for the garden room that I've completely forgotten the name of !) all with bright white trims like skirting and windows etc !

CamelHump Thu 16-Jul-15 20:11:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now