Talk

Advanced search

Birds on wallpaper-bad luck?

(11 Posts)
BitandBot Sat 11-Jul-15 11:21:57

I'm looking for a nice floral type walloper for our bedroom in an Edwardian house. All of the ones I like (that I can afford) have birds on.
Unfortunately my Nan was very superstitious and I can't get it out of my head that she said birds on wallpaper brought death and bad luck.
I'm not woo at all. Talk some sense into me please! I still find myself saluting magpies and wouldn't move house on a Friday. I spent a lot of time with her as a child and her sayings are ingrained into my brain.
I'm looking at Laura Ashley summer palace at the moment. Sanderson do some lovely ones with ought birds but as we need 8 roles they are too expensive.

bettysviolin Sat 11-Jul-15 17:31:42

Never heard that before. I love bird wallpaper. If we were redecorating I'd have it everywhere.

That Laura Ashely is lovely. Hummingbird by Cole and Son is gorgeous too.

SurlyCue Sat 11-Jul-15 17:35:36

No, there's no such thing as bad luck in the way you mean. Wallpaper has no magical powers. Just get the paper you like.

scribblescrabble Sat 11-Jul-15 17:40:41

I've got the LA Summer palace curtains smile

Pipbin Sat 11-Jul-15 17:44:37

Don't be so silly.
So many dan things used to be bad luck and no one even thinks about it now.

BitandBot Sat 11-Jul-15 19:09:25

Ok you are right of course. It's hard to get rid of years of brainwashing. I could write a book of my Nans sayings!

BlackbirdOnTheWire Mon 20-Jul-15 12:21:17

"Don't move house on a Friday" - well, the superstitious wouldn't do anything on a Friday because Fridays are baaaaaaad (day of the Crucifixion) but as my elderly Scottish granny said when I asked her about exactly this, "och, you don't want to be moving house on a Friday because the removal men and plumbers and other trades all clock off at 3 and won't be back till Monday morning, so you'll have all your boxes in a van somewhere and no heating!" <grin>

Personally, I always try to follow her advice and thinks about whether there's a practical reason. She wouldn't walk under a ladder ("aye, it's bad luck alright when a tin of paint gets dropped on your head") which seems quite sensible to me. I can't see that birds on wallpaper could have any logical application, though!

ShebaShimmyShake Tue 21-Jul-15 18:01:38

Makes you wonder what brought death and bad luck before wallpaper was invented.

One thing that will definitely have a negative impact on your life is worrying about superstition and woo. Have the birds, birds are lovely.

I love my beautiful black cat.

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-15 18:03:33

It didn't seem to do William Morris any harm.

OvO Tue 21-Jul-15 18:11:35

I have that summer palace wallpaper in my kitchen. It's so nice.

I've had no bad luck! grin

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Wed 22-Jul-15 02:24:43

I have it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now