Advanced search

What colour should I paint my hall and landing (not cream or grey)

(17 Posts)
Lovage Wed 13-May-15 22:00:40

Currently yellow-ish cream but I'm bored with that. I'd like grey but a) DP won't go for it and b) I'm a bit worried that in 5 years it will look very dated because it's been so much the trend for ages (hope not to redecorate for about 20 years!).

House is Edwardian-ish. I'd like something stylish and a bit interesting but DP is a bit more conservative. It's a fairly blank canvas - there's medium-coloured oak floorboards in the Hall, and the stair and landing carpet need replacing anyway. I want to keep the existing Hall curtains which are cream, dark green and reddish orange (this fabric ) Actually, thinking about it, those curtains are never going to work with grey paint anyway, so that rules it out even further.

Any suggestions? Anyone painted their hall and landing a good colour that isn't cream or grey?

Devora Wed 13-May-15 22:09:09

Farrow & Ball Bone? It's a lovely pale grey green (but definitely way more green than grey). It's a real neutral and would go beautifully with oak flooring.

perfectlybroken Wed 13-May-15 22:09:22

I love your curtains, could you do it a pale gold to match that colour in the curtains? Not metallic gold obviously!

Devora Wed 13-May-15 22:11:28

George at Asda has a new paint range and I'm quite taken with Whitby SeaMist - maybe a bit too grey for you? but mainly greeny blue and very cheap! Might not work so well with your curtains, though.

Sidge Wed 13-May-15 22:12:57

We're going to do our hall in Dulux Willow Tree.

It's very classic and calming and I think would look great with your curtains, especially in an older house.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Wed 13-May-15 22:14:14

Would something navy blue like this work?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 13-May-15 22:16:29

just had ours done in Dulux Soft Truffle (sort of pale milk chocolate colour) below the dado, & one of the not-whites above but I always forget which one. The not-white is a bit paler than I'd have liked but as it's in hall, stairs & landing, & whole of massive attic I'm not about to change it now.

It looks surprisingly nice (IMO!)

Hallway is going to be mid-oak Karndean, stairs a Crucial Trading red stripe & everything else a plain beigey carpet (colour is called Pebble). Possible a bit brown-heavy overall but I changed my mind so many times I got fed up - I'm not good at visualising

I love your curtains smile

LettuceLaughton Wed 13-May-15 22:16:42

I love that fabric!

Theres a deep blue in there, isn't there? I'd maybe that shade for the carpeting. The white / cream colour of the background for the walls with Plenty of prints. Macintosh / mucha / whoever. Might be a reasonable compromise between you both. Maybe.

It's hard to say without seeing the space

Devora Wed 13-May-15 22:17:13

Your curtains are lovely! They'd look great with Bone! (Pushing my point here.)

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 13-May-15 22:18:09

The Dulux Willow Tree is lovely

Lemondrizzletwunt Wed 13-May-15 22:27:47

If it's any help to those that love the fabric it is by Dunelm, they do it in two colour ways and two sizes of motif when I last checked smile

Go forth and purchase wink

iwasyoungonce Wed 13-May-15 22:34:50

Our old hallway was painted in Khaki Mist, and it looked fabulous. When we redecorate our new home I'm going to choose the same again.

MargotLovedTom Wed 13-May-15 23:08:06

I don't think Willow Tree would go with those curtains, it's quite a fresh minty green. I think you need more of a pale sage colour.

BitterChocolate Wed 13-May-15 23:15:45

Crom Fog or Storm by Fired Earth, but I'm very fond of blues.

Lovage Thu 14-May-15 09:57:01

Thank you all! I'm not very keen on blue, so don't think I will go for that, but greeny-grey or yellow is a good idea. I think I've got something similar to Dulux Willow Tree on one of the kitchen walls (Crown 'Box', a soft sagey sort of green, I think), so that's also a possibility - I'd have continuity between rooms, which I've never managed before! I think I need to explore the world of modern neutrals more.

Glad you like the curtains, I love them! It's a proper Rennie Mackintosh design, not a Mockintosh :-), and I love nearly all his stuff. I didn't know you could still get the fabric - mine was from John Lewis about 10 years ago and they've stopped stocking it, but here it is at Dunhelm indeed It's really easy fabric to work with, if anyone is thinking to make their own. I'm a very poor dressmaker - cushions is really my limit and I've made several pairs of dreadful curtains over the years, but the window and door curtains I made out of this fabric look fine.

HeeHiles Thu 14-May-15 23:50:00

I agree by picking out the yellow/gold colour will make the rich colours of the fabric stand out.

Devora Fri 15-May-15 00:36:15

F&B Matchstick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now