Advanced search

Large Victorian Lounge - What colour

(20 Posts)
whatnowstupid Tue 03-Feb-15 14:14:07

I've recently bought a victorian flat with a massive front room with really high ceilings and period features. The room is south (and sea) facing and incredibly light and warm. The fireplace is light and dark grey marble, I want to paint the walls a mid-grey but some people have said it will be too dark. WWYD (It doesn't have to match anything but the fireplace as I intend to source some old furniture).

Eastwickwitch Tue 03-Feb-15 16:30:15

I'd say south facing, big & light would mean any colour you like.
Tell us your favourite colours and MN will advise you grin

whatnowstupid Tue 03-Feb-15 17:19:05

I was thinking mid grey or mid blue

whattodoforthebest2 Tue 03-Feb-15 17:29:18

I think mid-grey sounds lovely. I'd paint the woodwork antique white (softer than brilliant white) and have light, pale accessories (cushions, throws etc) in the Summer and darker, more luxurious textures in the Winter when you've got the fire burning. Is it carpetted or bare floorboards?

JCPennies Tue 03-Feb-15 17:42:07

Whilst I love grey, I can't help thinking that in large Victorian houses really rich colours work - such as Aubergine. My friend has a Victorian house (v large) painted in this colour and its gorgeous.

Grey is very 'now' but an actual colour is so much warmer..

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 03-Feb-15 19:22:09

I have to agree with JCPennies......although I'm probably biased as we're I am painting one of the reception rooms in our new house aubergine (F&B Brinjal). Our house is Victorian with an Arts & Crafts extension and this room is in the Arts & Crafts part. It's a colour we've used previously to great effect (although it isn't for the faint-hearted) creates a wonderful period bathing in Ribena feel!

Mid-grey, whilst lovely, will date far more quickly imho......

JCPennies Tue 03-Feb-15 19:26:29

My friends bathroom is painted in Brinjal, its tiny and it really shouldn't work - but it does and I have to say I love it.

Eastwickwitch Tue 03-Feb-15 20:12:11

Grey is very now, but if you like it do try. It's not hard to repaint when you get bored.
Might be best to not go overboard on matching grey accessories.

Little Greene is a strong colour

or F&B is pretty

or this is a lovely pale blue/grey and very easy to live with

BuildYourOwnSnowman Tue 03-Feb-15 20:19:23

Little Green Pearl

Little Greene Adventurer

noddyholder Tue 03-Feb-15 20:25:36

Grey has been now for years I think Brinjal is lovely I had it in a living room and it was beautiful at night with candles etc. and deeper jewel colours are lovely in south facing large rooms. I am an interior designer a lot f painting over grey going on atm as it has become a bit magnolia. I love navy walls with old white woodwork in big period houses looks great with natural coloured sofas and old wooden furniture. SOunds a lovely house

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 03-Feb-15 20:26:00

Grey is very in at the moment. But also consider a sagey green colour. It looks lovely in a sunny room (with white woodwork and wooden furniture) and also looks classic (while fitting in with the current 'botanical theme' trend') looks good with light and dark wood.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 03-Feb-15 20:27:04

Noddy - I've just done my son's room in old white with some navy on panels and it looks beautiful.

noddyholder Tue 03-Feb-15 20:29:51

Sounds lovely I plan to have navy when we move. I also love sage green especially with old dusty pink and off white.

Lizzylou Tue 03-Feb-15 20:38:12

I have a navy bathroom with white paintwork pinned on pinterest for when we finally get around to redecorating.
I am desperate to get some colour into our home.

Lizzylou Tue 03-Feb-15 21:01:38

Sorry, meant to add, have a browse on pinterest to see what sort of thing you like/would fit.
I am addicted despite us not being able to do anything for about a year.

ChristmasName Wed 04-Feb-15 07:50:32

Have a look at the stone on the fireplace. Most greys, particularly natural materials, have an undertone of another colour, e.g. blues or purples. You can usually use complimentary colours to help see this. So, for example, if you hold a yellow phone book against it it would bring out a purple undertone, a red book would bring out green tones stc.

Then decide if you want to play this up or down. If you like the purple tones paint the room yellow or cream. If you hate the green tones don't paint it pink etc.

whatnowstupid Wed 04-Feb-15 09:55:29

Thanks for all the ideas, I never thought of that Christmas, will give it a go.

Superherosidekick Wed 04-Feb-15 09:58:37

We have a lovely green/grey - dulux trade - rainstorm
I think it would look stunning by the sea

agnesrose86 Fri 06-Feb-15 22:09:38

I was going to say look at little Greene too - lovely chalky colours and you can go for light/mid/dark. French grey and gauze are nice.

mouses Sat 07-Feb-15 21:09:45

why not keep it Victorian colours, some one correct me if im wrong but im sure they had navys, deep forest green, burgundy etc.. maybe add it on an accent wall or accessories?

I have navy and dark green in my home and I love it... just wish I had the Victorian house to with it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now