Advanced search

any paint experts around? need advice on painting doors!

(13 Posts)
mouses Tue 27-Jan-15 18:24:32

i have sanded, primed and coated my panelled doors in a dark slate satin wood paint. problem is the slightest knock and it scratches / chips!

was just wondering if I should or could wax the door to give it abit more protection? or any other ways?

oldgent913 Wed 28-Jan-15 10:00:44

what sort of paint did you use?

mouses Wed 28-Jan-15 10:15:24

I used dulux primer and undercoat followed by dulux trade satin wood paint.

deedeelondon Wed 28-Jan-15 19:29:25

You need to put on several coats of topcoat I'm afraid...

mouses Thu 29-Jan-15 17:46:15

ive put 3 coats of the satin wood, didn't know if there was a finish I could put on the doors to prevent chipping so easy.
when I painted my coffee table and tv stand in satin wood I gave it a coat of briwax? not sure if its do-able for doors?

my skirting that I paint 2 days ago has now got marks on too sad takes so long to get the decorating done (around kids, cleaning, cooking etc..) and it comes off in seconds! lol well not funny but if I don't laugh id cry! confused

mouses Fri 30-Jan-15 12:20:08

any ideas?????

shovetheholly Tue 03-Feb-15 13:45:58

Gosh, how frustrating for you, OP - it sounds like you've done everything right but it hasn't worked out.

I would ring Dulux and ask them what to do. It sounds as though the topcoat you used may have been faulty. They have great customer service (have used them before) and may be able to suggest a solution, or even give you free paint to sort the problem.

I can recommend the endurance paint range for toughness if you do have problems! I think I might be tempted to add a top coat of this if all else fails. But talk to Dulux first!

26Point2Miles Tue 03-Feb-15 13:57:06

Thing is you do get this with satinwood. All paints are now water based due to EU regs coming into force this year. Water based isn't particularly durable

26Point2Miles Tue 03-Feb-15 13:58:03

Isn't the endurance range just emulsion though?

mouses Wed 04-Feb-15 23:47:34

i just think this place is anti 'decor' haha

when I painted my living room I masked the edging near ceiling, took 4 coats and just under 10ltrs of paint. it was like rolling it on then off with the down stroke? - then to add to more stress when I took the masking tape off the paint near the ceiling peeled off like a face mask! confused and in the corners the paint in the ceiling corners didn't take either, still see old colour. <<before I hid it behind coving>>

in my ds's room I used dulux trade diamond emulsion to take on the room of doom!!! still found chips out of the paint and worn areas where the beds are angry it took 10ltrs to do 2 walls - yes 10ltrs! it was like the wall was drinking the paint?? I was using a pale grey to cover magnolia - you think I was trying to cover black! lol

ds's room had same problem with paint not taking near the ceiling and peels of with the lightest scratch right back to the plaster or dry wall which ever its called.

only rooms that hasn't given me grief is the bathroom and kitchen which I thought would be the toughest.

as for the recent problem im going to give them another coat or two. try and see if I can cover it in something to prevent future chipping. ive read that using an exterior paint would be tougher but it cost me a fortune to get this mixed up so stuck with it now {shrug}

mouses Wed 04-Feb-15 23:51:38

26point2miles - the satin im using is oil based as brushes need to be washed with spirits. and its an arse to wash off the hands!

mouses Wed 04-Feb-15 23:54:45

sorry dd's room room had trouble with paint chipping back to plaster not ds's {roll eye} its late wink brian has shut down ....

mouses Wed 04-Feb-15 23:55:41

brain even blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now