Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed about feature wall, or not, in bedroom

(21 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 12:30:22

I've fallen for a wallpaper that features pink & green birds & flowers, cream background but quite a 'full on' pattern - the birds are quite big. If it was just for me I'd have it throughout but DH not keen. The room has two long walls & two shorter ones.The bed is against one long wall, and opposite is a built-in wardrobe that's going to be painted chalky pink.

So my dilemma is whether to paper the two long walls or the two short ones. Long would be easier (radiator on short wall) but it means there will be one full-on wall (behind bed) and one with mostly wardrobe doors framed by wallpaper. Or, a big blank (long) wall and two end walls papered. One of these has a big window so not much paper.

Or I could just do one wall. Or them all.

Any thoughts?

MaudantWit Tue 20-Jan-15 12:35:30

I keep reading that feature walls are passé, but I like them and plan to have one in the sitting room when I redecorate, so nerr to conventional wisdom.

That paper sounds lovely and, in that room, I would put it on the long wall behind the bed. I wouldn't bother doing the little bits around the wardrobes.

Kewcumber Tue 20-Jan-15 12:38:41

I inherited on in my house a couple of year ago and those I wouldn't have chosen it I do rather like it to the extent that I have kept it despite the fact that it doesn't go with any of my bedding or pictures! #notagoodlook.

In my room its on one wall behind the bed.

Big patterns should not be split into little bits and you'll lose the effect if you do it on the window wall. So I agree with Maudant - just do the wall behind the bed. Your DH will also complain less as he won;t be able to see it much when he's in bed.

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 20-Jan-15 12:40:58

I would do the wall behind bed only as well.
Then same cream on feature wall on rest of walls but pick out the colours with picture frames etc. Could even paper inside of wardrobe in the same as feature if you love it so but that might be a tad overkill

Having same problem except OH wants it on all walls but I think it be too much. So I've persuaded him just one wall grin

MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 20:21:19

Thank you all so much - seems that behind the bed is the way to go. If the other walls are plain (cream) I can also justify buying the curtain fabric to match the feature wall! smile I can see it working - my previous decorating attempts haven't always been a total success. DH and neighbours alike won't let me forget the orange rag-rolled kitchen walls

MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 20:22:21

and I love the idea of papering inside the wardrobes - brilliant. Or maybe the backs of the wardrobe doors? getting carried away

Kewcumber Tue 20-Jan-15 20:28:55

Life is too short to paper inside a wardrobe or rag roll your kitchen in orange

MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 21:40:24

Oh, I don't know - if it brings you a bit of satisfaction? A craft project, kind of?

MaudantWit Tue 20-Jan-15 21:49:20

I'm with Kewcucumber on this one. Papering inside a wardrobe sounds like a massive waste of money, time and effort and if your wardrobe is as packed as mine you'll never properly see the results of your handiwork anyway.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 21:56:34

No it's true, there's not much space to see the walls inside the wardrobe.

MaudantWit Tue 20-Jan-15 22:08:13

What do I know? This house is no stranger to rag-rolling (or, rather, sponging).

comeagainforbigfudge Wed 21-Jan-15 00:39:18

Oh just ignore me and my changing rooms/kirstie allsop (?sp) moment. Was getting carried away with myself ha ha ha
grin

MirandaGoshawk Wed 21-Jan-15 11:22:43

But I like that idea! Like a boring suit with a bright silk lining that you only see when the jacket is opened.

comeagainforbigfudge Wed 21-Jan-15 13:49:31

True grin

shovetheholly Thu 22-Jan-15 12:49:34

I have the Cole & Sons woods paper on the long wall of my bedroom in a light grey. It looks lovely, like the trees are in a mist! The other walls are very bare and plain. I think if I'd done the whole room in the paper it would've been a bit claustrophobic (and expensive!).

Count me in as another vote for the long wall.

ghostinthecanvas Thu 22-Jan-15 13:01:56

Yes but you could wallpaper the inside of the wardrobe doors. That would be nice. I would wallpaper all the walls except the wardrobe wall which I would paint match to one of the wallpaper colours. I would possibly paint the wardrobe doors the same as the walk. Then again, what do I know, I'm trying to persuade DH that the mickey mouse wallpaper I bought on a whim would look great under the bannister rail going upstairs. It really would...... or in the toilet. Be fun in there. He isn't for it. <sigh>

ghostinthecanvas Thu 22-Jan-15 13:03:21

Walk?? Walls. Sorry

SwedishEdith Thu 22-Jan-15 20:27:56

Be like the French and paper the front of the wardrobe instead. And the panels on your doors?

MirandaGoshawk Fri 23-Jan-15 10:35:26

I hadn't looked into cost. It is a long wall and a calculation shows that it will cost £224 for wallpaper for just that wall! And I'm a novice and might cock it up. But DS is a builder (apprentice, but competent) so what I've decided to do is ask him to put up a panel round the bed that I can paper. There are 'skirting boards' (architrave) round the built-in wardrobe, opposite the bed, so I'm going to ask him to do the same on the opposite wall, about seven foot long and up to the ceiling. It's a gamble but it is a long wall and I'm nervous that a whole wall of this paper will look too full-on. So this is a compromise, and if I hate it I can change it without too much hassle/loss of cash. There's going to be a mirror over the bed too with a pink frame.

Solution, or stupid?

MirandaGoshawk Fri 23-Jan-15 10:54:25

Oh, and curtains in the matching material to bring it all together! smile

ghostinthecanvas Fri 23-Jan-15 12:15:37

Sounds really nice. I really like the panel idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: