Talk

Advanced search

is laminate floor any good?

(5 Posts)
paneer Wed 14-Jan-15 21:57:47

I have disliked it for years, mainly because I have mostly seen really poor quality shiny (and chipped) stuff in high volume areas.

Now, I am looking to replace the carpets in my bedrooms and the price of engineered wood is pretty high, laminate cheaper and some of looks ok.

So I have a few questions, if anyone has the answer:

1. Is laminate generally better these days?
2. Should I just go for laminate in bedrooms as they are low volume areas?
3. Any alternatives that's under £20 p/m2?

Thanks

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 14-Jan-15 22:02:49

Depending on the timedifference between 'back then' and 'nowadays', I'd say yes.

Darker stuff looks much better quality than beech etc.

We went to carpet right and spent 9.99m2 and it's not fantastic quality but almost good enough so for 15-20, I think you'd be fine. DMIL had real wood and paid 180 for a small room and if I'm honest, I prefer my cheap stuff. grin

Lulu3108 Fri 16-Jan-15 00:08:02

Yes I agree, beech looks tacky and outdated.

A nice oak colour looks lovely and expensive, but that's my taste lol.

The health benefits are certainly positive any lung conditions and asthma will improve as all the dust has no where to embed like it does it in carpet.

It's more hygienic for any spillages as well.

Floors2go, B&Q, online sites etc free samples available.

You won't need massively expensive and high quality durable flooring in a bedroom, compared tons kitchen or living room.. It will tell you when you look at flooring what it is best for.
X

Draylon Fri 16-Jan-15 08:40:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 20-Jan-15 12:24:07

If you're after wood have a look at bamboo - there's a site called Panda Bamboo. It's relatively cheap, nice variation in colours etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: