Talk

Advanced search

What colour curtains?

(5 Posts)
Carltondance Sun 11-Jan-15 18:51:05

I'm completely stuck on what colour/s of curtains to get for the living room . The room is a standard victorian terrace knocked through (ie long and thin) with a bay at one end and a small long window at the other. It's painted in little greene french gray with original mid-oak stained floorboards and a mix of neutral coloured furniture (woods, brown and grey fabrics, a couple of lighter painted pieces).

I'm thinking some sort of greyish tweed type fabric for the curtains but worried that it is going to make the room just feel really dismal. It doesn't get a huge amount of natural light and we mainly use it in the evenings so I'm going for cosy rather than light and airy.

Thanks for any ideas!

CockBollocks Sun 11-Jan-15 20:04:20

I think you need patterned curtains, plain feels a bit insipid to me along with everything else.

wowfudge Sun 11-Jan-15 20:26:34

Something with a good, noticeable weave picking out at least a couple of your other colours - possibly a plaid?

christinarossetti Sun 11-Jan-15 20:32:41

I think either go for a strongish colour and/or pattern and pick it out in the room with cushions, rug etc or go for something very neutral like grey, cream or beige.

We used to live in a similar type of house and we had wooden blinds which were similar in tone to the floorboard, which gave a nice, clean Scandi look.

We now have curtains with a fairly bold colour/pattern, and I think this only works because the living room is wider and bigger.

I was round a friend's today who lives in a Victorian house, and was admiring their warm cream/beige plain curtains, thinking they were cosy and made the room look bigger.

CockBollocks Sun 11-Jan-15 20:33:40

Maybe a grey pattern with a bit of yellow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now