Talk

Advanced search

Red ektorp sofa - or a neutral colour?

(9 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Sat 10-Jan-15 08:01:21

We will be getting a new 3 seat sofa some time soon. The ektorp looks likes a good value option for us while we still have young dc (5&3).

So... Do we get a red one which is very cheap, or a neutral/ grey colour which is more expensive.

The living room will be painted so that colour doesn't matter too much. The carpet is beige/ biscuit colour, and we have a dark blue sofa.

Does the red fade badly?

I like colour, especially some of the red/ turquoise colour combos I've seen on pintrest. The living room is going to be a very functional place for a good while yet as the dcs toys are nearly all in here (small bedrooms) and I can't see that changing until they become screen addicts.

Does anyone have a red sofa?
How is it wearing?
What's the rest of your room like?

TIA smile

cosmicglittergirl Sat 10-Jan-15 08:06:36

We have the red two seater, bought it nearly two years ago and it hasn't faded at all. I think it's very hard wearing for the price and easy to wash the covers. We got red because we like bright colours and coincidently the curtains are the same colour (we rent). The walls are white and the floor is laminate. We also have two armchairs that are chintzy, but I think it all goes in a non matchy way.

cosmicglittergirl Sat 10-Jan-15 08:07:46

By the way, I have a 16 month old, so sofa does get covered in 'crap' frequently!

pilates Sat 10-Jan-15 08:18:46

I would go for a more neutral colour, you can add colour with curtains, cushions, etc.

MokunMokun Sat 10-Jan-15 08:25:38

I'd love a red one! We had the brown one and it did fade a lot. I managed to find a grey cover in the outlet bit so we have that now.

HarlotOTara Sat 10-Jan-15 08:26:28

A friend has the Ektorp in red and it looks great, not faded at all. I have atwo seater in grey which is more expensive but I can't see much difference in fabric quality. Why not go for the cheaper option and get the other covers later, you can ring the changes then.

piglet81 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:35:19

We have a red 2-seater ektorp and it's great - going strong 5+ years later and not faded. Really good value, I think. It's in a room with one dark red and three off-white walls, a big stripy rug (also Ikea!), cream-and-gold curtains and two old dark red armchairs. Various different reds - not sure what an interior designer would say but we like it! smile

fussychica Sat 10-Jan-15 10:39:09

I have a blue/grey stripey 2 seater Ektorp, it's 3 years old and looks brand new. I bought a set of IKEA Ektorp cream loose covers for £40 at the same time in case I ever changed my colour scheme or the other set didn't wear well but it's still in the packet. Totally brilliant value sofa.

NotYouNaanBread Tue 13-Jan-15 18:20:41

Red can be difficult, in that it's a bit of a style commitment. Our Ektorp corner sofa is navy and I love it to bits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: