Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone painted ikea furniture?

(8 Posts)
Gozogozo Mon 05-Jan-15 18:48:46

But not with Annie Sloan chalk paint?

I want to paint some Billy bookcases that are white to brighten them up. I guess that I will need a primer?

Any help much appreciated!

greenbanana Tue 06-Jan-15 16:23:52

I haven't, but I'm considering painting our Expedit and found this blog post thecraftqueen.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/42-before-and-after-ikea-expedit-hack/. Hope that helps a bit - products seem to be american, but it has the various stages including 2 coats of primer.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Jan-15 16:32:11

Primer plus a light sanding to give the primer something to stick to.

ageingdisgracefully Tue 06-Jan-15 16:34:54

Pinterest has loads of ideas too, with an Ikea-specific section.

RumAppleGinger Sat 10-Jan-15 22:17:35

I had five black Billy bookcases which are now white. I went to homebase and bought paint for kitchen cupboards. I needed to do four coats on each case but that's because I was going from black to white. I would image you could possibly get away with just one or maybe two coats if you're painting it the same colour.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sat 10-Jan-15 22:20:59

B&Q type places sell a primer to paint on plastic. I used that to then paint pale grey on a bright yellow billy. Made it much easier.

forago Sat 10-Jan-15 22:23:01

I often paint IKEA shelves, primer (the one in the red tin, can't remember name) and then dulux satin woodpaint. works really well and makes them look more "solid"

Gozogozo Sun 11-Jan-15 18:39:07

Thank you all, very helpful.

I am trying to stick to waterbased paints although I know that they won't be so hardwearing, and will finish with a satin varnish. So thanks for all the encouragement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now