Talk

Advanced search

Why use a mattress topper?

(12 Posts)
looki Sun 04-Jan-15 13:58:23

I keep reading about mattress toppers and I'm obviously missing something.

I have only ever used a mattress on its own, currently an Ikea foam mattress.

I have slept on two mattresses (realising only now that one was a mattress topper) in a friend's house but found it very uncomfortable (the sides kept partly curling up around me and it kept moving).

What am I missing? Does everyone have them? What is the difference between a topper and a mattress protector?

Japaninthesweep Sun 04-Jan-15 21:37:12

We got a memory foam topper as our mattress was wrecked but we couldn't afford a new one. It's amazing. Like sleeping on a cloud of dreams.

You'll never look back!

Laquitar Sun 04-Jan-15 21:59:00

Japan
can i ask you which one do you have?
Or how do you choose one?

Japaninthesweep Mon 05-Jan-15 19:56:58

We got the two inch memory foam one. Think it was about £40, just off Amazon.

You can get thicker but that was plenty for even our gammy mattress.

dementedma Mon 05-Jan-15 20:04:07

Best thing I ever bought. Ever! Moulds to your body, holds the warmth......mmmmm. Feel sleepy just thinking about it!

Laquitar Tue 06-Jan-15 20:36:56

Thank you Japan.
I will go and have a look.

pluCaChange Tue 06-Jan-15 21:12:50

Another thing it can do is "dampen" vibrations from a sleeping partner, e.g. the bed won't shake you awake when s/he turns over.

threepiecesuite Tue 06-Jan-15 21:15:38

I like the idea of not disturbing the sleeping partner, but I don't like the idea of it moulding to your body or staying warm. I like a cool flat bed?

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 06-Jan-15 21:18:27

We bought one when our mattress started to get uncomfortable. It's made a huge difference to the feel of the mattress and one thing we have noticed is how quickly the bed warms up. We used to use an electric blanket in the winter as our bedroom is so cold but we've not needed it since we got the topper.

The curling up at the corners is a pain though.

Mouldypineapple Tue 06-Jan-15 21:18:40

Our mattress is 20+ years old. For over a year I suffered with pains in my outer thighs. Weirdly one then a good while later the other joined in. Couldn't work out why then saw a memory foam topper on a good deal somewhere and bought it. My thigh pain has gone!
Yes we really need a new bed but until we get one this has been great!

MarjorieMelon Tue 06-Jan-15 21:20:54

We could feel the buttons on our mattress though the sheet, the mattress topper provides an extra layer of comfort.

Mrsstevejones Fri 09-Jan-15 10:29:02

Bought a memory foam one in Aldi - £40 for a kingsize. I love it, stops me feeling the buttons on the mattress, really helps keep the warmth in and helps it feel more luxurious.

If it broke ( not that it can ) i would buy another one tomorrow.

I have a water proof mattress protector on top ( bf baby, who co slept), then a soft cotton sheet ( to stop plastically sounds and sweating yuk) and then sheet, so no danger of it rolling up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now