Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about curtains...

(2 Posts)
Droflove Tue 30-Dec-14 21:02:08

Such a boring topic but I really know nothing about curtains. I was thinking how hard could it be but now that I really start thinking about it, I don't even know what materials look good. Does anyone have any practical advice when buying curtains? Like whether you should always buy the best you can afford? How can I ensure black out curtains are as dark as possible (are there different levels of lining?)? What kind of rails are best? etc. I need curtains for 4 bedrooms and 2 living rooms with high ceilings and sash windows. Will probably just get blinds for the kitchen and play room.

holeinmyheart Wed 31-Dec-14 19:16:03

Curtains are about keeping out the cold and dressing a window. The fuller the better. Each curtain should be at least 3/4 the width of the width of the window.
Many places sell ready made curtains such as Denhelm Mill, Laura Ashley, Next, etc.
Good quality fabric is expensive. It feels thick and dense. You can buy a set of cheap curtains and the lining will be thin and flimsy. Horrible!
Rails are in and they can be bought from B&Q. They are fairly simple to erect with a drill and rawl plugs. You make a hole with the drill and put the Rawl plug into the hole to keep the screw secure. The size of the hole to drill will be in the instructions that come with the rail.
I make my own curtains. The lining should be detachable so that they can be washed. There is a great deal of difference between linings. Blackout is the best and can be bought with white on one side. You can also buy thermal lining to retain warmth. They are easy to make if you have a machine. Making your own will save you a lot of money. For one window approx 6 ' x 4' Laura Ashley will charge around £400/500.
Got to go now and get my party frock on....... But if you need any more information I would look in your local paper for small ads. There will be someone there who will make them for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now