Talk

Advanced search

Oak kitchen work top for shelves?

(6 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Mon 29-Dec-14 09:20:16

Am I daft?

We want a load of shelves for the living room and we both want oak. There's lots of oak veneer about but I'd like sold oak but as cheap as possible.

Would buying a length of kitchen worktop (or even an off cut if we were lucky) and getting it cut to size be daft? Or genius? smile

Feminine Mon 29-Dec-14 22:16:44

I don't know about the worktop but... I have had pine shelves made. (they are solid slabs/lengths of wood, and l have left them untreated) It was so cheap £8 for a 4ft piece. A local handyman will know where to source them l imagine. smile

trackydacks Mon 29-Dec-14 23:14:44

I used a piece of ikea work top for a desk, so you could probably use some thing like that. But you might be better off finding a local timber supplier and getting them to cut to size or if they have suitable off cuts

SwedishEdith Tue 30-Dec-14 23:34:28

It's very heavy. We had an offcut which our builder cut lenghthways and then joined end-to-end (if that makes sense). It looks nice in the kitchen but it needed quite heavy duty brackets.

Marmitelover55 Sat 10-Jan-15 15:36:06

We also used an ikea oak worktop as a desk! Agree quite heavy but probably doable for kitchen shelves

wonkylegs Sun 11-Jan-15 09:33:54

Try buying solid oak window board rather than shelf we found it cheaper and came in longer lengths (we have 2 x 3m long shelves in the study using window boards)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now