Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with this bedroom?

(15 Posts)
WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 08:42:29

DD3 was meant to be moving into the box room when she no longer needed to be in with us.

I bought ikea pink stuva wardrobes to fit along one wall.

Now DD1 wants a room of her own so will be moving into the box room and DD2 and DD3 will share.

However DD1 is almost 8yo and I'm worried the furniture (which is still in boxes waiting for the room to be decorated) will be too young for her.

It's tough though as I've had the furniture too long and can't return it.

So what can I do to make the room look a bit less like a nursery?

What wall colours?
What prints?
Any other ideas?

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sun 28-Dec-14 08:51:46

Ikea returns are up to 365 days. Have you had it more than a year?

I think it will be fine - DS2 has a stuva wardrobe in the box room and he's a teen. Can you maybe exchange the pink doors?

WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 08:56:12

I didn't know that.

We've had it less than a year.

But Ikea is miles away and it would be such a hassle. Would rather just try and work with it now

PfftTheMagicDraco Sun 28-Dec-14 09:03:37

I'd make a trip to IKEA and get white doors for the Stuva if she doesn't like them. Or put them up and change the doors in a year or so when she's a little older.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sun 28-Dec-14 09:04:24

I didn't know until I looked on the website whilst seeing which furniture it was smile

I think it will be fine. Go with white walls, add silver and other accent colours and you can easily make it a more grown up space I think. It will be the accessories that make it nursery like or not.

WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 09:24:57

Silver is a great idea.

Not sure about white walls though as she wants colour

WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 09:55:00

I was thinking of painting one or maybe two walls aqua or turquoise. I thought that would help balance out the pink

Not sure which walls to paint though.

Or even if that is the right colour to go for.

treaclesoda Sun 28-Dec-14 10:15:31

For a child's room I think bright turquoise would be lovely with the pink. Or lime green and pink could work well for a child's room. Or white walls and bright curtains?

CurlsLDN Sun 28-Dec-14 17:30:32

I've been eyeing up the patternology range from mamas and papas for ds. How about this bedding with the co-ordinating curtains/blanket etc
www.mamasandpapas.com/product-patternology-geometric-single-bed-duvet-cover-pillowcase-set-/7042k1300/type-i/
The pink will tie in with the wardrobes, and you could either do white walls with some really cool framed prints, or go for the turquoise as you were thinking, like in that picture.

Could you put something such as a fabric covered pinboard on one wardrobe door, and mirror tiles on the other?

WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 19:26:45

I love that design curls and the owl cushion is nice as well thanks

I'm now wondering if turquoise would be too dark for a small box room. Would teal be better?

CurlsLDN Sun 28-Dec-14 19:39:30

Isn't teal dark turquoise? I think aqua is the light version? (like tiffany)

WUME Sun 28-Dec-14 21:55:05

Your right curls blush

Is aqua too blue?

calendula Mon 29-Dec-14 01:25:23

I would go with the colours your DD wants and paint the wardrobe doors to match. An 8 yr old will soon grow out of pink, so I would avoid chosing a colour just to balance the pink.
Paint the doors with a roller. 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of gloss/eggshell. It is easier if the doors are lying down.

WUME Mon 29-Dec-14 18:30:45

Do kids really grow out of colours? Pink is just pink isn't it?

WUME Mon 29-Dec-14 21:07:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now