Talk

Advanced search

Can overhead pendant lights ever be lovely?

(6 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Sat 27-Dec-14 14:10:35

At the moment we have cheap paper lampshades, but I generally use a floor lamp and side light to give a more ambient light. DH always switches on the overheads which always seems to make room dreary. Can anyone give some advice? Wondering if worth investing in some nice shades - will this make light nicer and cosier? What colours would work (nice pale green ones in sale but could be cold). Living with fact that no matter how many side lights I have, overheads will always be put on angry

Valsoldknickers Sat 27-Dec-14 14:26:54

Get dimmer switches. You can then make the room as bright as you want. My DH's family, when he was growing up, always had full overhead lighting (think interrogation brightness). I prefer our room to be slightly darker and therefore more relaxing. The dimmer switch on the main light is a perfect solution! I use it along with a table lamp and tall lamp (also with a dimmer switch) in our sitting room and it makes it lovely and cosy.

TheSteveMilliband Sat 27-Dec-14 15:50:26

Aha Val, that sounds like a good idea. I can guarantee will all be turned on full but I can sneakily lower them

Valsoldknickers Sat 27-Dec-14 16:11:08

Just dim them gradually over time, my DH didn't notice!

SwedishEdith Sat 27-Dec-14 16:14:08

Disable the switch?

TheSteveMilliband Sat 27-Dec-14 16:33:46

Swedish,would love to do that! Dimmer switch might be more acceptable though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now