Talk

Advanced search

IKEA Pax wardrobe - with limited headroom

(12 Posts)
SearchingforSleep Thu 25-Dec-14 15:19:21

We really want to get an IKEA Pax wardrobe with sliding doors. They do 2 different heights and we want to get the tallest one which is 2.364m high which just fits in our bedroom if we cut out the carpet underneath the wardrobe.

The assembly instructions say you need 2.44m room height to be able to build it on the ground and then lift it upright, or to build it upright if your room is less than 2.44m high (which ours is).

We are concerned that although we should be able to build the wardrobe frame upright, if the sliding doors have to be lifted onto their running rails that we won't have enough headroom. Has anyone built one of these IKEA wardrobes and can you remember whether you need extra height to lift the doors on?

Thanks very much smile

donkir Thu 25-Dec-14 15:33:44

I have this wardrobe without sliding doors and you do need the extra room just to get the wardrobe from the laying down to upright position once built.

PrincessOfChina Thu 25-Dec-14 15:38:04

You also need it to attach the doors. I'm sorry, but I think it's not an option.

ouryve Thu 25-Dec-14 15:38:20

We had a similar problem, so got the slightly shorter ones, plus some nice boxes to put on top.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 25-Dec-14 15:40:32

They are super easy to modify, so you would always chop them down a bit if you want a perfect fit. Although it won't be very pretty along the cut edge of course!

honeysucklejasmine Thu 25-Dec-14 15:41:06

If i recall you need to lift the doors a few inches to hang them.

nataliejayne1 Thu 25-Dec-14 15:43:07

I have built a few of the ikea pax wardrobes for my mum. All with sliding doors. From what I can remember they just slot into runners and you don't need any room above. We actually had the smaller ones though

SearchingforSleep Fri 26-Dec-14 11:11:11

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. smile Does sound as though the shorter one is the way forward... Thanks thanks

Ihatemytoes Sat 27-Dec-14 18:41:24

We have the pax 236cm pax with sliding doors. Ceiling height is 244cm. We were able to build them lying down and attach the doors with no problem.

poocatcherchampion Sat 27-Dec-14 18:48:45

Sliding doors need headroom iirc

MuscatBouschet Sun 28-Dec-14 21:03:13

Don't say that because we've got the same problem and want to risk it with the tall ones!

Watch this video on you tube. At about 2 mins they put on the sliding doors and it doesn't look like they lift them at all: m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqgbtw0l8o

ChaChaBoom Sun 28-Dec-14 21:49:17

We put some up, yes you need a bit of room to hang the doors on the rail, 2 inches max maybe? There are clips on the 'roof' that need securing too so you'll need space for your fingers to do that. Go to IKEA and have nose at the mechanism if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now