Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interior design ideas for URGENT makeover

(12 Posts)
cottageinthecountry Mon 22-Dec-14 12:33:53

I'm doing up the family holiday home and we need the last room finished by New Years Eve when we have extra guests.

At the moment the plastering's being finished with haired lime and any paint would need to be breathable. We have stripped it back to its beams and it's a 500 year old building. It has a big window and very high apex ceiling and a very large window so there's lots of light. It's a beautiful space and I want to do it justice. 4m x 4.5, 1m height to the beginning of the apex, the actual ridge beam is about 4m. The window is 1m up from the floor so quite high.

I'm particularly looking for

a great bed, one that won't disappear in the room but will feel fresh and clean, flat pack (not divan as it needs to fit up a small windy staircase

flooring with thick underlay for soundproofing that will be cleanable and quick to install (logistics here is crucial)

ideas to prevent it looking dirty or dusty - the beams are all stripped back so it's extremely rustic

lighting - grand, high, low, minimal?

it's a wow factor room but I want it to look unique, not like any old bland clinical holiday cottage. i'm thinking of the bed in the centre of the room facing the window, would that be weird? As the staircase is open there isn't a wall opposite the window so it can't go there.

There is one antique chest of drawers and we have some tea chests for deco.

I would welcome even the tiniest ideas you may have, it really helps.

cottageinthecountry Mon 22-Dec-14 12:34:40

I should add that it's a holiday let for guest, no longer just family.

CanToCandle Mon 22-Dec-14 13:32:00

Go to houzz.com lots of ideas there

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 13:37:31

grin Sounds amazing!!!

For flooring, I would go with engineered wood flooring (it's real wood 6mm then ply wood base for stability and ability to lay direct on concrete etc).

Get a rustic grade brushed and oiled version. Never get lacquered. You cannot do patch repairs on lacquer. Whereas oiled you can rub down with steel wool and re oil in patches as needed.
Having a brushed board means scrapes etc don't show.

And you can use acoustic underlay to deaden sound transmission.

I will come back after I've given the DC lunch and link some ideas and some ideas for beds etc.

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 13:48:00

Right back again.

For bed ideas have a look here www.indigofurniture.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/wooden-beds

Those beds won't disappear! And they are delivered in sections which their drivers put together for you.

Not sure what budget you were thinking of but let me know and I can tailor it better.

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 13:52:58

Have a look at Earthborne paints for lime plaster here
earthbornpaints.co.uk/faqs/is-claypaint-suitable-for-use-over-lime-plaster-lime-wash-or-lime-rendered-walls-without-compromising-the-natural-breathability-of-these-traditional-building-materials/

lovely colours and perfect for your place. grin

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 13:54:29

This one in their clay paint called Tom's Bakery is beautiful
earthbornpaints.co.uk/colour/toms-bakery/

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 14:02:51

Some flooring options

www.directwoodflooring.co.uk/rustic-vintage-oak-brushed-oiled-solid-wood-flooring.html

Or some of these
www.luxuryflooringandfurnishings.co.uk/engineered-wood-flooring/finish/brushed-oiled.html

Make sure the wear layer is at least 4mm pref 6mm. (The top wood layer). This means you can sand it 5 times (circa 1mm off with every sanding). So it will last decades rather than a few years.

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 14:05:35

Another rustic big bed option

www.homeandfurniture.co.uk/H-F-Plank-Emperor-Bed_AY85L.aspx?browsingcollectionitemnumber=6&ItemType=2&ItemsPerPage=50&ParentID=9562&CategoryID=153203&SortColumn=Default&SortOrder=0&SearchTerm=

MrsFlorrick Mon 22-Dec-14 14:07:18

I have vaulted ceilings and exposed beams upstairs in our bedroom.
Sadly the only way to keep them dust free is with a massive 21ft ladder, Hoover (with a long extender nozzle type thing) and a cloth rises in linseed oil wood wash.

Eastwickwitch Mon 22-Dec-14 14:46:58

We've got very high vaulted ceilings. I was suggested this light on here for our bedroom and it looks great, a smaller one would just be lost.

PS MASKROs

cottageinthecountry Mon 22-Dec-14 16:35:12

Thank you thank you thank you everyone, MrsFlorrick that paint is great. We went with grey carpets in the other rooms and it works well to offset the wood.

I'm worried about wood flooring because of the weight and also having too much wood. I know DP and the builders would love it (men seem to want to go as rustic as possible to the point of austerity) but I think I'm preferring carpet.

Love the emperor bed, expensive but probabaly worth every penny as it's so solid. It is bold enough for the room. My concern would be that it's very heavy but it can't be much heavier than the four singles that were in there before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now