Talk

Advanced search

I don't like nets but need privacy. What are my options? Am I missing the obvious?

(16 Posts)
Blanketontheground Fri 19-Dec-14 09:55:51

Our house looks onto a field where the barn has just been changed into a lovely tea room. We have curtains upstairs but need additional privacy during the day. The windows are 1930s wide but shallow curved bay. Can anyone help?

Storytown Fri 19-Dec-14 10:00:03

Plants. On the windowsills inside and/or on pots/window boxes outside

PetraDelphiki Fri 19-Dec-14 10:02:08

Frosted window film (try purlfrost)...really easy to apply, looks like frosted glass and doesn't cut out too much light!

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 19-Dec-14 10:02:37

We've got wooden blinds in our curved 1930s bay, which give some privacy (especially if you angle them right).

Lots of people use film to frost their glass. Or the bottom half of it at least.

Blanketontheground Fri 19-Dec-14 10:43:18

Thank you. I don't want anything permanent as the view is so nice but I don't want to have to close the curtains when I get dressed. I think I'm asking the impossible.

staverton Fri 19-Dec-14 10:46:19

Shutters.

BigbyWolf Fri 19-Dec-14 10:47:33

Vertical blinds? Easy to open/close or angle in different ways to stop anyone seeing in.

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 19-Dec-14 11:09:38

Venetian blinds would do the job fine. You can angle the slats so that no one sees in but you still get light though. And you can pull them right up if you want that sometimes too.

Blanketontheground Fri 19-Dec-14 11:10:48

Shutters would look great. I didn't think of them. Thanks

Mollymoofer Fri 19-Dec-14 21:03:29

Shutters are stunning but expensive. Another option might be pale, sheer curtains. They can look very pretty and don't have to cost the earth.

fussychica Sat 20-Dec-14 15:28:06

We've got some quite unusual woven vertical blinds for our mooosive front window. I can draw them right back, treat them like curtains or angle them so people can't see in or to stop the sun. They were very reasonably priced and I get lots of compliments about them.

Blanketontheground Sat 20-Dec-14 20:57:21

Thanks Molly and Fussy. Would you be able to link to a pic of your solutions? I can't really picture them. I do envy people with natural style! I feel like my house is plain and childish and I long for sophistication.

fussychica Sun 21-Dec-14 08:24:50

Mine were from here but I can't find my actual blind - there's hundreds. Sorry - hope it helps.
www.blindsuk.net/vertical-blinds.html

Jenijena Sun 21-Dec-14 08:26:51

I'm not sure it would work in that period house, but in our lounge we have a double curtain rail (ikea). The one closest is a see through very thin cotton. We have this drawn when we want privacy.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 21-Dec-14 08:29:10

We use a plain muslin net, from John Lewis IIRC. We have people walking past all through the holidays and summer as it is a popular walking destination. It is held up by a pole that nestles in between the sides of the windows, so no need to drill. It is extendible with rubber ends so fits a range of sizes.

ovenchips Sun 21-Dec-14 08:52:56

I don't have them myself but I always think 'magic screen' diffusion style blinds seem a really good solution.

They are like a sheer roller blind which, during day, you can see out of but people outside can't see into. At night this is reversed(!) so you'd need curtains or something but would certainly solve your problem during the day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: