Talk

Advanced search

lightening walls

(3 Posts)
hesterton Fri 05-Dec-14 15:01:01

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice. Our spare room is quite dark. Edwardian terrace, back bedroom. The rest of the house has polished floorboards but this room has a cream carpet. Floorboards seem in poor aesthetic condition underneath and we can't afford a new carpet. The room need brightening up, but what colour could we use on walls? My taste is for a crisp calico but I have a feeling it will just make the carpet look dingy: it's a darkish cream.

Thanks in advance!

Sandthorn Sun 07-Dec-14 19:51:19

Calico sounds a good choice: pale, but fairly warm. I would stick with bright white on the woodwork, ceilings (and above picture rails, if applicable). You can further lift it by hanging pictures with white/off white frames/mounts. And if all that pale-on-pale makes the carpet look "off", cover it up with some contrasting small rugs.

Fingeronthebutton Fri 12-Dec-14 19:23:33

I agree with sandthorn. If possible, a big mirror opposite the window to reflect some light. Also on the pale walls, a rug. Not the sort that you walk on but one of those thin ones. B&Q do some nice cheap ones.
I have the same problem with a dark spare bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now