Advanced search

What blind for kitchen window?

(9 Posts)
hissingcat Thu 04-Dec-14 11:12:22

At the moment there is no blind.
I'd like a roller blind inside the recess but the recess has been partly tiled at the bottom about a foot up from the sill and the tiles stick out about 1/2 of an inch into the recess (hope this makes sense) so if I got a roller blind there would be 1/2 inch gaps at the top on either side.
I'm not sure about blinds outside the recess it's a fairly big window. what are your thoughts?

I considered a vertical blind but I don't have them anywhere else in the house so not sure.

I can't have a venetian blind again, because of the tiling and there would be a gap.

This is obviously why the previous owners of the house never put a bloody blind up angry

smartshopper1 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:10:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

berceuse Thu 04-Dec-14 19:21:34

I would go for a blind outside the window in view of the gaps. Unless you could live with a narrower than the window blind which I couldn't..

I have windows like this in one room and I had wooden venetian blinds made, 50mm slats in a thickish wood, must be about 4-5mm. They look shutter like. But fit outside the window, looks fine, they are about 1 and a half inches wider than the window at each side. I either have them down and closed or pull them up completely to the ceiling.

I am not sure that you are supposed to do that - someone once told me that it could wear out the mechanism ... but three years on.

hissingcat Fri 05-Dec-14 19:51:24

I couldn't live with a too narrow blind. I had one before with less of a gap at the sides and it drove me mad.
I think I'm just going to go with the roller on the outside then. It's mainly for decoration and would only be used in the dark nights as we have no one overlooking so don't need to worry about people seeing in.

burnishedsilver Sat 06-Dec-14 00:15:24

A roman blind outside the recess would be nice.

hissingcat Sat 06-Dec-14 08:12:17

I'm not really sure what a roman blind is blush
when I Googled it it just came back with plain old roller blinds. Is it different then?

burnishedsilver Sat 06-Dec-14 08:47:12

It's a fabric blind that folds rather than rolls. They can be set either inside or outside the recess.

berceuse Sat 06-Dec-14 10:31:48

Roman blinds are nice, I have them everywhere I don't have wooden venetians (kitchen, bathrooms and office). I steered away from them in the kitchen though as we have two windows on one wall and that is where the sink and main prep surface is.

Thought at least I could wipe wooden ones. Thinking about it though, we are not overlooked either OP hence ours are up or down and closed so they would probably work in my kitchen as long as I kept DH away from the sink when they were down (messy type).

Nicer then a roller blind imo and nicer than wooden venetians too. There is a thread about inside recess/outside recess at the minute. Mine are all outside recess as I have a old farmhouse with lots of 1m sq windows. You have the potential to lose quite a bit of light if they fold inside the recess.

hissingcat Sat 06-Dec-14 19:17:33

A Roman blind sounds nice. I will have a look around.
Glad to hear that outside the recess seems to be a popular choice.
Thanks for all the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now