Talk

Advanced search

Should I paint my hall dark blue?

(13 Posts)
newrecruit Thu 13-Nov-14 00:26:36

I love the Lost Lake dulux colour, as does DH.

However I'm nervous that it will make our hall, stairs and landing too dark.

The hall is narrow and dark. The front door opens into the short side of the hall and continues to the right. There is a narrow frosted window next to the door but that's it.

The landing is also small (about 1m by 2m) with 5 doors off it and no windows

I was thinking of Lost Lake on the wall with the coat hooks and up the stairs and a light grey along the hall and on the landing . Will I regret it? Will it look like an inky cave?

BOFster Thu 13-Nov-14 00:32:01

Yes, I'm afraid so.

Mouldypineapple Thu 13-Nov-14 00:33:35

Too dark. You need light and welcoming. Unless you're a goth..

newrecruit Thu 13-Nov-14 07:04:54

My alternative is putting green and a chalky cream.

I lived with Magnolia for so long it's driven me mad.

newrecruit Thu 13-Nov-14 10:25:24

Sort of this colour scheme

ouryve Thu 13-Nov-14 10:31:05

Deep blue is rather dark in a room. It's best for rooms which are either flooded by light or mostly used at night. I painted a small bathroom french navy, once, and it was absolutely lovely. The sun flooded into the room in the morning, so it glowed and the deep colour was restful on the eyes, when having a bath.

It would make a hall fairly dingy and unwelcoming, though, unless it had a lot of windows, which yours doesn't.

newrecruit Thu 13-Nov-14 12:19:11

The entrance by the front door is light and airy, so I could use the darker colour just on the wall with the coats and a lighter blue up the stairs.

Would a grey/blue also look dingy? I hate the light the energy efficient bulbs give the landing.

Because the landing is so small it is actually mainly doors so clean woodwork would definitely lighten it up.

DH has his heart set on it hmm

Eastwickwitch Thu 13-Nov-14 14:15:30

I'm painting mine F&B Light Blue 22. It's a strong colour but not too dark.

newrecruit Fri 14-Nov-14 22:41:17

That colour is actually lovely.

MairzyDoats Fri 14-Nov-14 22:48:32

Are you in there much In the daytime? I think it could look lovely and warm and cosy in the winter, if you have a small table you could leave a lamp on? Sometimes I think embracing the dark is no bad thing. Also, lots of different mirrors in a display up the stairs could look amazing.

newrecruit Sat 15-Nov-14 18:14:08

That was kind of my thinking.

I can't ever see it feeling light and airy so thought I'd go a bit more cosy.

Then I have flashbacks to Adrian Mole painting his bedroom black grin

DameDoom Mon 17-Nov-14 20:00:10

I think you should go for it. My hall and landing are F&B Downpipe, including ceilings, doors and woodwork. I have lamps and lots of artwork and mirrors. I think it looks wonderful and everyone who comes in loves it as it's so cosy. I love seeing it all twinkly when I walk up the drive.
It looked like a magnolia mess beforehand.

newrecruit Tue 18-Nov-14 22:02:47

Yes, I think I need to address the lighting & accessories to make it work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now