Talk

Advanced search

Front door colour help

(8 Posts)
mimiasovitch Sun 09-Nov-14 16:16:40

I'm finally, after an age of trying to find a carpenter who actually turns up, getting a new front door. Decided on hardwood and have found a door I love. I want dark green paint but can't decide on whether the frame should be black or white. The house is red brick Victorian, with white windows. If I go for white, can I still have black door furniture? Would black look too heavy? A neighbour has a dark red door with black frame and I love it, but his house is stone. Can anyone help, as dh is really no help whatsoever.

Monica101 Sun 09-Nov-14 16:39:07

I would go for white, I'm choosing a door at the moment and the advice to me from the shop was have the same frame and door colour when you have a black, grey, white or wood door. But for another colour go for a white frame.

It could work with black but i've been noticing doors recently and I think white usually sets the door colour off nicely.

mimiasovitch Sun 09-Nov-14 18:36:48

I think you're probably right. What about the door furniture? I'd like black, but would brass go better? I've waited so long (until the current door barely opens in the wet) I don't want to make a mistake.

Hassled Sun 09-Nov-14 18:38:44

I think brass if you're going for a white frame (which I think you should if the windows are white).

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Nov-14 20:00:39

I'd prefer chrome door furniture to brass.

Monica101 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:06:14

Ascetically I think I'd prefer black. But brass is probably the safer choice, I don't think you can go far wrong with a traditional strong colour, with brass furniture on a Victorian red brick house.

If you have black railings or gate, or maybe a black exterior light then black furniture could tie into that. It's grander looking than brass, if the house could carry it off it could look good.

Chumhum Sun 09-Nov-14 21:11:48

Definitely brass door furniture, it's on trend and classic. Chrome looks cheap, if you really want to go that route then do brushed stainless steel but that look has been around a long time and is on its way out. Classic is better with a period home anyway especially with traditional colours.

mimiasovitch Sun 09-Nov-14 22:09:16

Thanks all. I think brass will fit more with the style of the house than chrome, even though the house is in no way grand. I am replacing my gate, which is quite shamefully hanging from its rotten hinges blush, but not until after the expense of Christmas, and will still go for black there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now