Talk

Advanced search

Engineered oak vs posh vinyl in living areas?

(10 Posts)
marshiesmagicA04 Sun 09-Nov-14 09:11:45

Have been debating most hours of the day with DH as to what flooring to put down in our new lounge. Had pretty much decided on engineered oak (148mm plank, 6mm top layer, waxed and oiled) until yesterday when we got the quote (ouch!) and promptly visited a flooring shop and found Adore Touch flooring which is similar to Amtico I think. The 'gorgeous' sample looks very similar to the engineered oak and we could then run it all the way through downstairs. We currently have real lacquered wood in the hallway and kitchen diner which I have hated in the kitchen/diner and is going black at the edges/scratches badly (expensive mistake).

Any advice??

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 09:16:19

We have engineered oak in our downstairs and amtico in our kitchen. It's an exact match and most people assume its oak all through.

The oak is lovely. Five years on and it still looks good, but there is one patch that looks awful (it's pretty impervious to most things but child vomit destroyed the wax on that patch) and it will cost a lot to strip and refinish it. So that would be the only concern I have with it. You can't wash it so if a sparkly clean floor is important to you go for the amtico. You can only Hoover/dust and occasionally mop it (very lightly).

ggirl Sun 09-Nov-14 10:05:07

We have engineered oak downstairs , open plan kitchen diner and living area.
I love it cos it hides all the dirt , and I wash it with no problem. Use a steam mop and have used normal mob and bucket as well.
It is worn in certain area but it adds to the look imo.

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 10:13:52

I didn't think oiled oak could be washed? The only thing I found that could be used was Method wood cleaner.

ogredownstairs Sun 09-Nov-14 13:49:31

We have oiled engineered oak throughout the downstairs ( osmo wax oil) and wash it regularly with a damp mop and any old 'wood and laminate' floor cleaner. Best flooring we have ever had and looks great 7 years on with no maintenance or anything. I personally hate amtico and other 'fake' woods but I know some people love it and I hear they're practical if you have pets etc.

Monica101 Sun 09-Nov-14 16:42:27

If it means you can have the same flooring throughout the bottom of the house I'd go for the vinyl. It always looks more complete and finished with the same flooring.

I'm actually going for a cheaper floor so I can do this in my house.

MissWing Mon 10-Nov-14 19:15:11

My friend has posh vinyl and I'm appalled at how badly it has aged. Pale wood effect has faded to a lurid yellow-green by the windows.

Behoove Wed 12-Nov-14 11:13:04

It must be poor quality or faulty then.
I had Karndean put through the kitchen diner extension 3 years ago and it's like new.

Marmitelover55 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:56:15

We have a uv lacquered engineered oak throughout our kitchen/diner/study/snug and it seems very hard waring. I clean it with a vileda mop which has a spray thing in it using Bona wood floor cleaner - seems to clean and protect and mind if the wood wearing f going black yet.

Marmitelover55 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:57:39

*ooops and none of the floor is wearing or going black yet....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now