Talk

Advanced search

Essential tools for home decoration

(7 Posts)
nifaitniafaire Sun 02-Nov-14 13:34:40

Hello,

We're moving into our own house at last in a couple of weeks and after years of renting I cannot wait to turn this house into a lovely family home.

Our budget isn't huge and so I'm hoping to do most bits and bobs by myself even if it's going to take me longer.

I've had a go at most things and already own tools from our previous home but I want to expand a bit and have a go at upcycling furniture in order to create a clutter free home.

What are the essentials?

I've got a drill, a little sander (the pointy one, for corners I think), a spirit level, measuring tape, lots of screwdrivers, masking tape, sand paper, a sewing machine and other little bits.

What else do I need? I'm guessing I'm going to first need to spend money on buying tools so I want to get myself organised and shop around.

Thanks x

TheWomanInWhiterose Sun 02-Nov-14 22:04:38

A heavy duty staple gun will be really useful for reupholstering (e.g. dining chairs ) Also a decent scraper and one of those little triangular headed scrapers if you want to remove paint / varnish etc from furniture. Also decent paint brushes and one of those scraper things with the razor blade in for removing paint which has gone onto glass - they are fantastic.
Hope that's the kind of thing you were thinking of
TWW

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Nov-14 08:17:03

Incidently, I've just discovered that those glass scrapers are fantastic for cleaning shower doors.

A decent power drill will get lots of use over the years.

nifaitniafaire Mon 03-Nov-14 16:25:50

Great, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted.

My drill is quite old and quite heavy, is there one you would recommend?
Also, do you use one of those heaping things that tell you where there might be wires? I'm paranoid of drilling into something I shouldn't!

erin99 Wed 05-Nov-14 23:58:36

I would buy things as you need them. If you buy without a specific project in mind,you may find you never need it.

When we moved into our first house we bought a wallpaper stripper, scrapers, paintbrushes, rollers and trays, and an extension pole. Some stuff (allen keys, spanners) I bought whole sets in the pound shop and they are fine! My mum made my plumb line (old bit of a tap on a strong but fine piece of yarn). If you are papering you'll need wallpaper brush, smoothing brush, scissors, bucket.

I like the theory of the wire identifying things, though I'm not sure I trust ours. Our wire cutters, pliers and mole grips all get regular use but don't buy until you have a need for them. B&Q is open until 8pm most days!

LuisCarol Thu 06-Nov-14 00:19:10

Also, do you use one of those heaping things that tell you where there might be wires? I'm paranoid of drilling into something I shouldn't!

No, they are not very accurate. Unless your house is really old, look at, for example, a double socket, and mentally project horizontal lines from the top and bottom out to the walls, and vertical lines from each short side to the ceiling and floor. Allow a 15cm edge to walls and ceilings. Be aware of what's on the other side of the wall, too (so if there's a socket with that zone in the next room). Those are an electricians "safe zones" so those are where the wires should be.

If your circuit board is an old one (i.e. rewireable circuits, or older than 15 years, say) it might be worth paying a callout fee to get an electrician to have a look.

nifaitniafaire Fri 07-Nov-14 13:38:01

Thanks for the tip LuisCarol, that's really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now