Talk

Advanced search

Help. More builder problems

(10 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Fri 31-Oct-14 19:12:42

Our builder is now running magnificently behind schedule.
And has forecast an extra 4 weeks for painting even though he will start the painting as each floor is finished! So really it's 3 months to paint.
So I would really appreciated your thoughts on how long to paint a 5 bed terraced house.
Kitchen includes a small conservatory but the rest of it is almost floor to ceiling cupboards and tiles. So minimal work other than 6 inches of wall at top plus ceiling.
And then a basement.
The prep will all be done and only 3 windows as rest new.
All freshly skimmed and ready to go!
Bathrooms largely tiled.
3 months????
Stair painted.
It's basement, ground floor plus 2 more floors but not large.
More a small to middle sized terrace. 2 of beds are tiny and barely take a single bed
Thanks!

JugglingChaotically Fri 31-Oct-14 19:48:00

Can't quite believe his latest email.
But daren't have him down tools at this point.

JugglingChaotically Fri 31-Oct-14 22:38:53

Anyone who can help?
It's so many years since we had anything done (hence the need for a major over haul) I have no idea how long it takes to paint a room including ceiling and window? Never mind a house!
Even ideas for one room?

spottymoo Sat 01-Nov-14 10:01:31

3 months seems a long time we did a 3 storey house 4 beds large kitchen/diner we did it all in 4 days and that included walls and celling woodwork etc no wallpaper it did help that we did it all natural so no need to wash brushes / rollers between rooms.

ILikeToClean Sat 01-Nov-14 10:32:16

We've just had our whole house redecorated - new flooring, skimmed ceilings, new doors and architrave and repainting in pretty much every room bar kitchen and bathrooms. Took 8 weeks - was supposed to take 5 but for most of the job there was only one guy here. Once 2 or 3 others stepped for in the last couple of weeks they flew round finishing off. Is your man working on his own? I'd still say that was far too long even for 1 person. Are you paying a fixed rate? We were so it was in their interests to finish quicker. If have a word and give him a deadline - one room only took our guy 3-4 days on his own, doing ceiling, flooring, architrave, food and painting.

JugglingChaotically Sat 01-Nov-14 14:50:59

Spottymoo - thanks - was that inside and out? And with woodwork (doors mainly in our case?)
That seriously quick!
How many of you were there?

JugglingChaotically Sat 01-Nov-14 14:54:05

Iliketoclean. It's a fixed price. Floors already done and skimming before decorating starts. His painting "team", apparently not 1 person!
But if one room takes 3 to 4 days then it would be a while.

JugglingChaotically Sat 01-Nov-14 15:02:34

Spottymoo. Sorry just realised you said it did include woodwork! Wow!

wonkylegs Sun 02-Nov-14 21:13:14

Hmm we have a huge Victorian house which we are having decorated in chunks.
Most of it has required quite a lot of prep work - I'm pretty sure the dining room had 140yrs worth of wallpaper layered on top of each other and once off it needed lining before painting.
I'll give you an idea of how long it's taken to do the bits that have been done.
Dining room - 6.5x 6m x3m high
Stripped, filled & lined, ornate coving, massive ornate bay & ceiling rose, red ceiling, grey walls, white everything else.
Took 2 men 4 days.
Living room - 6.5 x 6m x 3m
Just filled & sanded then painted - ornate coving, ornate picture rail, ceiling rose & 2 large windows, large panelled door.
Took 1 man 1.5 days
Kitchen - 5mx5mx 2.4m mostly cupboards or windows so not loads of wall, but lots of ceiling. 2x1/2 days - had been skimmed so little prep work.
Breakfast room, 5mx4mx3m 2.5 days - needed loads of prep and stain blocking & several coats to cover dark red walls.
Bathroom, 3mx2mx2.4m, only shower tiled, skimmed so needed little prep. 1.5 days.
21 new timber sash windows(in & out), porch & exterior stonework - 2men 5days.
To me if he's using a team that sounds excessive.

JugglingChaotically Sun 02-Nov-14 22:29:32

Wonkylegs. Thank you. Incredibly helpful. The house will be empty and all walls skimmed. Most windows replaced and painted prior to installation.
So nothing like yours - and very slow on comparison.
Just what I suspected and needed to hear.
Now I need to decide how to address it. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now