Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a front door colour - Black or Green

(36 Posts)
Monica101 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:31:41

My heart says Green (Chartwell Green)

My head says Black

I have a 1930's red brick semi. I have a black step and here is the rub, Upvc windows with coloured glass. The glass in red/green/yellow and blue. I didn't choose them btw!

I love the Chartwell Green, but will it look bad with my house. Shall I go for black. Current door is awful Upvc white plastic.

Pics are my door and window. Green door or black door?

Thanks

Lagoonablue Wed 29-Oct-14 19:44:28

Not sure which is your door. The pale green is lovely but not Inkeeping with the 1930s. 30s doors are black or navy.

However it wouldn't bother me and would defo go for the green.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Wed 29-Oct-14 19:46:22

Love the green!

Monica101 Wed 29-Oct-14 20:10:19

My door is the white Uvpc door. The other two are the choices. I could have either style in either colour.

I think like you say lagoon the light green colour is 'wrong' for the era of the house and possibly dosn't look great on red bricks. But it is very pretty.

Lagoonablue Thu 30-Oct-14 10:37:52

The shape of the green door is perfect for the house though. Typical 30s shape. I would have it on my 30s house in a flash. Trouble is it is a fashionable colour and as is composite ( am guessing ) not easily painted. Maybe err on a more classic colour but in that style?

Muskey Thu 30-Oct-14 10:44:14

I would go with the black tbh but at the end of the day it is your choice

redpickle Thu 30-Oct-14 10:56:57

I got an Aubergine coloured door this year and I love it!

Could you consider another colour entirely?

Otherwise I think black is classic and always lovely

PrivateJourney Thu 30-Oct-14 10:58:25

I really wanted a black door but all the advice I got when we were choosing it was that UPVC can fade and that faded black looks terrible in a way that slightly faded green/blue doesn't. We went for dark green in the end and I've been very happy with it.

I like the light green you've chosen a lot but IMO it's quite fashionable ATM. Even though it's supposed to look old, it might date quite quickly?

stereostar Thu 30-Oct-14 11:00:10

"Green. Green is another popular color for the front door, and with good reason. Psychologically speaking, green connotes health, safety, tranquility, and harmony, all highly desirable attributes for the home environment.

Black. Those who paint the front door black are communicating something entirely different about their homes. A black front door projects strength, sophistication, power, and authority, indicating to all who enter or even passersby that the home is a serious place inhabited by a person of substance."

Monica101 Thu 30-Oct-14 11:42:52

I agree about the shape lagoon, the website says it's a victorian style but it's classic 1930's (I think).

It will be composite so I'm not sure if that effects the black fading? That would be a disaster if it all fades, it is also a south west facing door so will get the sun.

I am limited by a narrow colour choice with it been composite redpickle so all choices are very conservative. I might go a bit quirky otherwise.

I could have black in the 1930's shape. It may be a bit severe.

Monica101 Thu 30-Oct-14 11:44:00

I do run a business from home stereostar so authority and serious would be good!

Lagoonablue Thu 30-Oct-14 12:01:21

I have seen those 30s doors in navy and red. Shame they can't get you one. Black composite shouldn't really fade though.

It's a dilemma. Your front door choice is a big deal I think and you are usually stuck with it for a long while. Unless it is wood and you can paint it. I heard about a company that will spray paint white PVC though. Ours is white PVC - ugh. Can't wait to change it.

Monica101 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:53:55

uPVC white is really a design crime. Mine is particularly horrible as it's going yellow now.

Front doors are such a big deal! Get in wrong and everyone can see, i've seen a few clangers. Often doors too modern for the house or too ornate and grand for a really modest house.

Greencheese Thu 30-Oct-14 22:31:04

I've just ordered the Chartwell green for our house! Love it.

Nanadookdookdook Fri 31-Oct-14 07:20:00

I have a black door but the surround is black too, not white like the one in the pic.
I would go for dark racing green, but failing that the pale green is fine. Cream can look nice with red brick. But an oystery cream not yellowy.

MuttonCadet Fri 31-Oct-14 07:40:21

A composite door in black won't fade (decent manufacturers give a 10 year warrenty). But I love the green colour as well.

Hesaysshewaffles Sat 01-Nov-14 23:06:51

My black composite door (on house I just sol) looked great but showed dirt really bad

Monica101 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:59:54

I've decided to go for black as I can't really think of anything else that will fit with the 'stain glass' effect on the windows.

Hesays it must be like a black car, they always attract dirt too. Sigh. I would like low maintenance really, did you have to clean it loads?

Did you have a black surround with your door or white Hesays?

Nanadook do you think the black surround looks more complete than the white? I haven't seen many with black but like the idea.

ChishandFips33 Tue 04-Nov-14 10:33:58

I like the green but would go for black then stress over it being kept clean!

Redpickle could you link to your door - colour sounds fab!

redpickle Tue 04-Nov-14 20:11:39

My aubergine door IS composite!

It was from a local family company in Surrey if thats of use to anyone - have a photo somewhere....

redpickle Tue 04-Nov-14 20:34:16

Here, http://www.themilfordwindowcompany.co.uk/photo-gallery/

Mine is near the bottom of the gallery

redpickle Tue 04-Nov-14 20:37:04

Bum, no idea how to link

ChishandFips33 Tue 04-Nov-14 22:52:45

Ooo I like it!!

Unfortunately DH has no taste has scowled Boooo!

willowisp Sun 09-Nov-14 18:26:54

In my road, the houses are mostly 1930's & there are a variety of different colour doors - original doors painted doors, orginial style composite & wooden doors. Keeping close to the original style is the most important.

Ref the stain glass, that style is also around, makes no odds to the colour of the door.

Monica101 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:17:33

That's interesting willowisp, I think I was over thinking the colour and should have thought more about sticking to an original style.

I've come around to the 1930's shape, probably in red if I dare (like the one in the picture). Or the same door in black if I don't dare go with bright red.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now