Talk

Advanced search

Absolute beginner

(7 Posts)
Gawainsgirl Sun 26-Oct-14 12:12:14

Hi, my husband and I have bought our first home, previously having rented. It is clean enough, but so, so dated. Over time, everything will need to be modernised.

I'm not a creative person, never bought more than a duvet cover in my life. Please can you tell me where to start? In an ideal world I'd get in an interior designer but we don't have the money. What would you say to a clueless friend?

Thanks thanks

Stokes Sun 26-Oct-14 12:21:28

Watching with interest...

We've just done similar. I also have no experience, so please feel free to ignore every single word I say, but:
- We started on the structural things. So, knocking down a wall, then flooring, then replacing the kitchen etc.
- Don't worry about fashion/trends. The main thing is that you like it.
- If in doubt, go neutral/timeless on the things that are hardest/most expensive to change (flooring, kitchen, suite of furniture). You can then brighten it up and add your own touches with paint, soft furnishings etc.

Very interested to see what others say though, we're only halfway there.

ilovehotsauce Sun 26-Oct-14 22:36:20

Watching ftb here too ours has been updated but has magnolia walls and crap laminate flooring and a cheapish looking kitchen but there nothing wrong with it according to dh. angry

Any ideas to make a ok kitchen look more sleek on a budget? & storage ideas we've have a 1 year with loads of massive toys!

Greencheese Sun 26-Oct-14 22:43:29

I'd start with the basics and have it quite plain to start, just get nice neutral walls and flooring and then live in it for a bit and see how it feels. Spend time on Pinterest and looking at magazines or the internet. Try to avoid complete 'themes' so you can add to your look as you go.

Also try to go with the feel of the house, so if it's modern don't try and make it look old and vice versa.

Lastly, enjoy making it your home.

burnishedsilver Sun 26-Oct-14 23:20:13

Houzz.com and houzz.com/UK
They're addictive.

CookieDoughKid Sat 01-Nov-14 10:08:17

If you need interior design assistance, I'd love to help. I'm just starting out as a designer after loads of people telling me I was a natural and for a VERY reasonable fee (since I'm just starting out), I can plan and design a room for you right down to materials to buy etc and quantities.... Please PM me for more details. Happy to work remote or come and see you if reasonable distance - I am based in Oxfordshire.

CookieDoughKid Sat 01-Nov-14 10:09:42

BTW - I trained at the London Chelsea school of design in Colour and Interiors if that helps with my credentials...but happy to show you samples of my work ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now