Talk

Advanced search

What to put at a landing window to give some privacy?

(9 Posts)
bonvivant Mon 24-Mar-14 19:01:15

We have a lovely feature window at our landing so don't have curtains or a blind there but could do with something there, either a vase or an ornament or something. It would need to be over 70 - 80 cm tall.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Not sure about those twig things or artificial flowers or something?? Our house is modern.

Many thanks

Shenanagins Mon 24-Mar-14 20:09:50

What about a large plant like a rubber tree or a yucca?

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 24-Mar-14 20:16:08

I've got an arched feature window on the landing at the top of the stairs. I've just made a bottom up blind for it, that folds away onto a sprung roller (so no cords). Its installed at the back of the windowsill and the plan is to buy a giant glass vase and drop an orchid into it so the whole plant is within the vase.

bonvivant Mon 24-Mar-14 21:03:17

I'm thinking I need some flowers but struggling with the height - most decorations seem to come in at below 60cm mark

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 24-Mar-14 21:14:06

What about an arrangement rather than just one thing. That way you could have height and interest.

Something like a ficus (1m +) a fern (0.3m) and an orchid (0.45m)

bonvivant Mon 24-Mar-14 21:17:10

Yes, I like that idea - is there anywhere I can buy something already made up online? I'm not very good at putting things together myself, getting the right vase etc?

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 24-Mar-14 21:45:18

Marks and Spenser's do some nice deliverable indoor plant arrangements but nothing with such height.

How deep is the windowsill?

I think I'd either go for three fairly neutral pots with each plant in one or a small trough with the plants in.

Periodically you could swap the orchid out for a flowering one whilst the original one rests on another windowsill.

lalasmum17 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:33:05

I am blessed (or cursed) with a 2m window between my lounge and kitchen (blooming listed buildings people so I have a slight clue about your angst (though not the privacy issues).

There are times when you can get some really beautiful tall/thin plants...then there are times you just fake it
http://www.bloom.uk.com
When Bloom are good they are very very good, but we have had some "oh, not so goods".

Smiling to myself with the long distant memories of sitting in a London beer garden one fine Spring day as we all noticed a guy walk down a split window staircase further along the terrace!

BrownSauceSandwich Tue 01-Apr-14 21:36:03

I've just put a dragon tree on my landing window. That would probably do the job. Or a handful of silk agapanthus in a tall glass vase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now