Talk

Advanced search

Curtains Dilemma!

(2 Posts)
MumOfTheMoos Fri 21-Mar-14 16:26:26

I have a gorgeous pair of long drop (2.67m) Designers Guild Ombrione curtains with triple pleated heading that are 2m wide each (including the effect of the pleats) that were in a bay french window in my house before last.

I now have a fairly standard Victorian double living room, with a bay at the front and a small French window at the back. I was thinking of getting these curtains altered so they would fit both windows. They wouldn't quite be as wide a set of curtains if you were starting from scratch in that thy might not cover the whole window frame but I only need them for 2, maximum 3 years until we finish a side return extension and decorate the living room, which including taking the current PVC windows back to wooden sash again would probably mean I would have plantation shutter at the front.

The drop of the new French window is exactly the same as the curtains which is handy but as there is a radiator currently running under the bay, they bay curtain would have to reduced to 2m in length.

I have no idea where to find someone to do these alterations (Google has not been my friend here) and the cost, as I don't think it will be the simplest job.

I could sell the curtains of course and put the money towards getting some made to measure (as I can't find ready made lined curtains of the right lengths) - a quick estimate on John Lewis 7 day curtain service puts that at about £7/800 using fabric at about £16 per metre.

I don't know how much the curtains are worth second hand. They are in very good condition in a neutral fabric that is still in production and almost iconic - when I had them made, about 8 years ago, the bill for the fabric, the curtain rails and the fitting came to about £3000 - I think about £2200 - £2500 was curtains.

Of course, I can still sell them after I have them altered but I don't know whether 2 smaller sets of curtains would be as valuable as one really large set.

What would you do?

Millipedewithherfeetup Fri 21-Mar-14 20:07:59

Dont bothet trying to sell them, you will never get a decent price for them, if I was you I'd get them altered for your new house, it wont cost that much to get them shortened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now