Talk

Advanced search

Bedroom 4/Playroom - dressing for sale

(14 Posts)
Sunnyshores Fri 14-Mar-14 08:20:52

We have a downstairs room which to achieve the best sale price needs to be a bedroom.

We didnt ever use it as a bedroom as we had enough upstairs, so it was our playroom. The room is off the front entrance hall and also has a door into the family room/utility area and through to the rear hall/back door.

So, my question is - what can I put in the room to cover several potential uses? Or shall I just leave it empty?

Thank-you!

Sunnyshores Fri 14-Mar-14 13:29:35

oh no pleeease!!!

A day bed?

Cluelessat30 Fri 14-Mar-14 13:34:42

Day bed sounds good. How about adding a small desk and computer? That would cover both bedroom and home office potential.

crazykat Fri 14-Mar-14 14:41:03

Day bed or sofa bed if the room is big enough.

A small desk and maybe chest of drawers.

Don't put too much in to make it look cramped but it needs more than just a day bed or it won't look like a bedroom/multi use room.

Sunnyshores Fri 14-Mar-14 16:58:22

Thank-you!!

We already have a large office, so thats covered and I dont think there's room for a sofa bed.

So a day bed with cushions along the back - agree it needs a few more somethings.

Cluelessat30 Fri 14-Mar-14 19:11:30

I suppose a small night stand with teeny clock and a book next to it should do it!

InsertUsernameHere Sat 15-Mar-14 16:44:24

Is your office upstairs? Is it big enough to be a bedroom? When selling houses I think it is about making it as easy for viewers as possible. So four bedrooms if possible are upstairs - non bedrooms downstairs (in reality a downstairs guest room can work really well! But this is about selling not real life)
Could you move your office into this room and have a proper fourth bedroom upstairs??

toastedteacake Sat 15-Mar-14 17:02:18

How big is the room?

Could you turn it into a boot room/ laundry room?

A wall will lots of coat hooks with a bench underneath. Baskets for shoes under the bench.

Another wall lined with shelves/ pigeon holes for school bags, sports bags, etc.

Room for a clothes airer, ironing board, washing basket.

Small desk, chair and a radio.

addictedtosugar Sat 15-Mar-14 18:45:18

This isn't going to be much help, but if I was looking for a 4 bed house, I would almost instantly discount a plan that had bed 4 down stairs, with a double access set of doors. Unless, of course, it is common round you (I see many people discount bathrooms downstairs on MN, but round here, it is very, very common in 2 and 3 bed houses, so while not on my ideal list, I wouldn't discount straight away).

You mention an office. Where is that?
And how many (bed) rooms have you got upstairs.

Do you need to use the downstairs bedroom to access the family room / utility? If office and bed 4 are down stairs, could you switch some of the rooms around? Or is it the most realistic bedroom?

Sunnyshores Mon 17-Mar-14 12:27:09

Thanks all for your replies:
Insertusernamehere - office is downstairs already.
toastedteacake - have a bootroom and laundry too. It has to stay as a bedroom for saleprice.

Addictedtosugar - yes agree with you in theory I would prefer all bedrooms upstairs BUT we fell in love with everything else about the house, and as the 4th bed is only a guest room (or teenage suite, or granny annex) it didnt seem a dealbreaker. If occupied the bedroom and wetroom and family room and rear door, can all be locked off from the main house to form a private suite.

The house is very big downstairs, its upstairs which is the original cottage and has just 3 beds (although large and with 2 bathrooms).

toastedteacake Mon 17-Mar-14 14:46:08

In that case I would go for a really simple look.

Day bed with a lovely bedspread and lots of cushions. Side table with a lamp and a separate chest of drawers.

To make it look lived-in put a couple of books on the side table and a mirror above the chest of drawers with a couple of framed photos.

If it still looks too plain/ dull maybe a rug and a framed poster on the wall above the daybed.

Sunnyshores Mon 17-Mar-14 20:03:58

Thanks, that sounds really pretty and calming.

Just been looking at day beds...they're pretty expensive.

toastedteacake Mon 17-Mar-14 23:07:28

Instead of a daybed would you consider a folding z-bed? A metal frame with no headboard and a foam mattress.

Dressed well it would perform the same purpose but would be £££'s cheaper.

You could use a valance to cover the frame/ legs and piled high with a duvet/ bedspread and lots of cushions no one would know that it wasn't a more substantial divan base.

Also if you have a spare double duvet and cover you could use that as a large bolster; roll it up into a long sausage shape and place along the length of the bed against the wall.

Sunnyshores Wed 19-Mar-14 09:53:22

toastedteacake - thats a great idea, but I've found a white iron daybed frame on ebay for £50. I've got an inflatable mattress that can be covered up and I was wondering what to do about cushions etc, the duvet is a good idea.

Thanks everyone, the room will look lovely now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now