Talk

Advanced search

Sofa for attic room with narrow stairs

(9 Posts)
Millymollymandy123 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:19:09

Can anyone help? We have just moved into a new house which has an attic room which we want to use as a spare room / office and I want to get a sofa or ideally a sofa bed into the room as opposed to a bed but the access is difficult up some narrow/windy stairs.

I am thinking worst case scenario I might have to remove the banisters. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and how they resolved it?

Thanks for your help.

Amanda

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Wed 05-Mar-14 15:28:12

Check out ikea. Most of their sofas/sofa beds are boxes for home assembly so you might be able to get them up the stairs then assemble it in the room.

Betty5313 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:00:31

nabru would work. we have two, one is a sofa Ned. they come in bits on a pallet so you could carry it up a cushion at a time.

Betty5313 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:00:52

a sofa bed, not nedsmile

IamInvisible Thu 06-Mar-14 21:04:09

I second Nabru. We have a 'normal' sofa. It is really comfy and very hard wearing. We're very pleased with it. I would recommend them putting it together, DH and DS2 did ours, there were quite a few cross words!

TheBitterBoy Thu 06-Mar-14 21:15:16

We have an IKEA Lycksele, it would work as it comes as a buildable frame with separate mattress. It is really comfy, and one of the few sofa beds I found that was a proper double.

Mercedes Fri 07-Mar-14 09:41:42

Hi

We have a loft office and had the same problem as you and ended getting a futon sofa bed; something like the VAST sofa bed below;

http://www.sitandsleep.co.uk/futon-sofa-beds/metal-frame-futon-sofa-beds/vast-sofabed-detail
(Sorry can't do links)

It came in about 6 bits - all metal - which we assembled. The biggest item was the actual futon mattress but the 2 of us shoved and pulled it up. Cos it was soft it was do-able. As it's full length my dp snoozes on it without having to put whole bed down. My parents have slept on it for years and say its really comfortable. We got ours in the futon company but they don't seem to do theirs anymore.

Hope this is helpful.

EverForgetful Fri 07-Mar-14 11:43:27

Have a look at selectasofa.co.uk as they do self assembly sofas and sofa beds. We bought a sofa from them before Christmas as we live in a 3rd floor flat and access is bad. Really pleased with it the quality is great and you'd never know it is self assembly once we'd put it together. Hope that helps!

Millymollymandy123 Wed 19-Mar-14 18:16:42

Sorry for the delay, I've been offline. Thanks so much to everyone, I didn't realise self assembly sofas existed! I will check out selectasofa and nabru - it will save us a lot of hassle! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now