Talk

Advanced search

Colours above picture rail

(4 Posts)
Nelsonsdream Sun 02-Mar-14 23:45:33

Hi

We have just bought a Victorian flat with high ceilings and picture rails. Just trying to work out what colour to do above the picture rail.

Was thinking a yellow for the walls, white for picture rail, then possibly something like Dulux barley white above the picture rail and for the ceiling and the cornice being white in between. Is that the right way to do it?

Thanks

PigletJohn Mon 03-Mar-14 00:07:11

The ceiling,and the drop to the pic rail, the same colour. Cornice most often the same unless you are very flamboyant.

PBW is most usual. Matt is most usual, and also practical as it helps conceal imperfections in the plaster.

PigletJohn Mon 03-Mar-14 00:08:39

p.s.
I have also used Barley White which looks less dead.

wonkylegs Mon 03-Mar-14 18:33:41

Often its the ceiling and the drop to the picture rail the same colour (usually white) if there is no ornate coving.
If there is coving it's more usual to have the same colour above and below the picture rail and a white ceiling, picture rail & coving.
However it's completely up to you - I recently did a completely white room (Walls above & below picture rail & ceiling) but with a pillar box red picture rail & fireplace. It looks amazing.
Our dining room is going to be dark red ceiling, white coving & ceiling rose and pale grey walls.
Our living room currently has off white skirting & picture rail, very pale green walls, white ceiling and 2 tone coving (olive & off white) , we also have olive green painted pelmets. It looks great but I didn't choose it and as it doesn't quite go with our soft furnishings and I'm going to change it's tones but keep the same idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now