Talk

Advanced search

Painting "plastic" wood furniture - is there a magic Annie Sloan like paint ?

(14 Posts)
didireallysaythat Fri 21-Feb-14 22:22:38

We acquired functional but not to my taste bedroom furniture a bit like this. Best described as the IKEA beech effect fake plastic wood. Can this be painted and look half decent ? And if so with what ?

RussianBlu Fri 21-Feb-14 23:41:25

Wickes chalk paint

didireallysaythat Sat 22-Feb-14 07:29:34

Thanks Russian. I've not used chalk paint before - is it forgiving or do I need to be meticulous with a soft brush to reduce brush marks ?

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 07:45:42

Annie Sloan paint is chalk paint and it says on the tin you can use it on plastic.

Her website shows local stockists bits brilliant stuff. You just slap it on.

RussianBlu Sat 22-Feb-14 09:18:28

Hello, the wickes stuff is like annies but cheaper. if you look at some youtbube videos or annies website you can get some ideas of how to use it.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 10:16:02

I've just reprinted a 70s veneer bookcase and some unfinished wood chairs from Ikea. You literally slap the paint on (just be careful with drips at edges) then run over with some wax. Don't be out off by all the distressing techniques on Annie Sloane's website. You can just use one colour and clear wax to protect it. I'm not actually sure you even need to use the wax ... But it doesn't have to look shabby chic.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 10:16:27

*repainted

I swear my iPhone hates me.

Thesunrising Sat 22-Feb-14 10:17:58

I've painted an ikea lack table with Annie Sloan. Goes on fine. Use a mini roller for a smooth finish

TheFantasticFixit Sat 22-Feb-14 11:07:23

I've just used AS on our kitchen cabinets that had looked cheaply mdf with that plastic wood effect covering. Worked brilliantly. Lovely texture and very easy to use. If you use pressure when waxing you get a slight 'worn' look which we really like - not quite distressed but not so 'new'.

TheFantasticFixit Sat 22-Feb-14 11:10:58

And I should also say for a small project, the tester pots might be more than enough. We used two coats on our kitchen (about 14 cupboard panels, 8 drawers and carcasses) and only used 1 and 3/4 litres. It goes far! I've used one tester pot (in Paloma, it's lovely) on a side table, children's table and chair set, and a mirror and still got some left over.

didireallysaythat Sun 23-Feb-14 21:27:00

Thanks for all the advice. From what I understand about this magic paint you don't need a primer. Is a small roller the best way to get a smooth cover.

TheFantasticFixit Sun 23-Feb-14 23:36:24

I haven't tried rollering it on, I might do so. You do get brush marks with it as it is quite thick and very matt though

daimbardiva Mon 23-Mar-15 12:39:23

You can water it down and it goes on really nicely

yelloowqueen Wed 16-Dec-15 07:27:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now