Talk

Advanced search

That stick-on frosted film for windows - naff or effective?

(11 Posts)
WomblingDrearyFebmas Sat 15-Feb-14 16:17:43

Just need something for the bottom half of the downstairs windows that isn't net curtains.

An upside-down blind might do the job, but is probably expensive/technical/difficult to find.

I quite fancy the stick on etched glass look, but DH reckons it will look nasty. Any experiences?

Am thinking of something like this
www.amazon.co.uk/White-professional-application-Purlfrost-bathrooms/dp/B003TL1BHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392480909&sr=8-1&keywords=purlfrost+window+film

LowLevelWhinging Sat 15-Feb-14 16:19:21

it is quite difficult to get it on straight with no air bubbles

Beanymonster Sat 15-Feb-14 16:27:29

This might be a stupid idea, but couldn't you just put the blind up half way down the window? It attaches into the wall at either side anyway?
I find the frosted glass stickers a bit tacky, mainly because there is always an air bubble!

tobiasfunke Sat 15-Feb-14 16:27:49

I have the plain frosted stuff on the bottom of our bathroom window - which is a big massive sash window (the pane we have it on is probably 1 m by 1.2 m) and it looks and feels just like frosted glass. We used it in our last house as well.
You cut it carefully to the right size and you use a bottle spray with water and washing up liquid and the tool they give you and we found it goes on fine with no bubbles if you take your time.

DollyTwat Sat 15-Feb-14 16:29:27

I've got some that looks like blinds, white lines across it looks fab, really smart. The air bubbles are easy to get out

WomblingDrearyFebmas Sun 16-Feb-14 10:15:54

Thanks all, looks like it might be a goer as long as it's the right product and you're dextrous at putting it on!

I did see some venetian blind type film on Amazon which looked good.

Re a half blind, yes that's a thought, will have a look at that too. Might be okay if it was quite a thin blind that let light through.

Any more thoughts / experiences welcome smile

7to25 Sun 16-Feb-14 12:11:56

I have used the film with no problems. Have you lookes into replacing the glass in the sash with frosted? I have done this, taking the lower sash out myself and taking it to a glaziers. Surprisingly inexpensive.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 16-Feb-14 12:30:51

The plastic stuff is brilliant. It comes in some great designs as well. I second the squirty bottle with soapy water.

flakjacket Sun 16-Feb-14 12:38:45

We have this on plain glass windows in the bathroom. Put it on as a temporary measure 15 years ago and it's still there. Cleans beautifully and prevents condensation. Lots of people comment on our lovely gothic etched glass smile.

It was really easy to put on with the squirty bottle method. Just make sure you measure and cut it accurately.

WomblingDrearyFebmas Sun 16-Feb-14 12:45:17

ooh preventing condensation would be a definite plus!

<twists DHs arm>

InsertUsernameHere Mon 17-Feb-14 08:10:00

Another vote for the plastic film. We had people knocking the door to ask about it. We used the squirty bottle method and a felt covered scraper thing, and did the bottom half of the bottom sash window. No bubbles we left a 2cm gap round the outside which looked lovely IMHO take your time, practice if you can (we bought the plain stuff) and you can always take if off using a hair dryer. Make sure your window is completed clean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now