Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to hang pictures on picture rails?

(12 Posts)
SavingMyselfForLukePerry Thu 06-Feb-14 10:17:53

Our 1950s house has picture rails which I really like and we hang pictures from them (obviously!) as it saves holes in walls etc. We use picture hooks, but I don't like how they all hang at different heights on the rail. I've seen photos of people using wire etc to hang them much lower which looks good but can't work out how to do it.

MrsSteptoe Thu 06-Feb-14 10:29:11

http://govart.com/

MrsSteptoe Thu 06-Feb-14 10:30:10

Above site has an FAQ with how-tos.

Sorry, i forgot to post as link so here is it again

govart.com/

Pannacotta Thu 06-Feb-14 13:55:53

I use thin fishing wire attached to hooks on the back of the pic then hang that over the pic rail hook. It is very discreet but strong too.
It is easy to vary the heights by using different lengths of wire.

PinkHat1 Sun 09-Feb-14 07:36:18

I use exactly the same method as Panacotta !

SavingMyselfForLukePerry Sun 09-Feb-14 14:53:42

Ah, ok shall get me some wire. So do you hang them lower than the picture rail or in line with it? Mrs on first glance I was mildly alarmed that you'd linked to a website of Michael Gove art!

Pannacotta Sun 09-Feb-14 15:19:55

Much lower, the middle of a pic should be roughly eye level.

NickNacks Sun 09-Feb-14 15:24:12

Are you banging the picture hooks into the picture rail and hanging the picture straight onto that?!?

MrsSteptoe Sun 09-Feb-14 15:34:53

The only possible way I could connect Michael Gove and the art of picture hanging is if I stuck his face on a dart board, OP wink

Pannacotta Sun 09-Feb-14 15:45:11

I use the pic rail method shown in this link, there are examples on internet if you look on google
diy.stackexchange.com/questions/32987/whats-the-best-way-to-hang-this-large-picture-on-insulated-plasterboard

SavingMyselfForLukePerry Sun 09-Feb-14 18:00:39

[big grin] Mrs
No, Nick I'm not banging anything in: I've been using picture hooks that hook over the rail, but without adding wire it makes most of them sit in line with the picture rail.
I thought they should be much lower, as you say panna but have never actually seen a picture rail being used in anyone's else's house! Will check out the link: I wasn't getting far with Google. Thanks smile

MuttonCadet Sun 09-Feb-14 18:03:58

I used large picture hooks over the rail, then hung a chain from the hook that was attached to the picture - if that makes any sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now