Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a colour scheme for my traditional living room

(11 Posts)
ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 05-Feb-14 20:14:11

We are about to decorate our living room and I cant think what colours to use. Its a fairly big squarish room, with a bay window & big old cast iron fireplace. The only things we have to go in it are 2 chesterfield sofa's in a deep red colour (might be called ox-blood red) and some oak bookcases. Can anyone please help me with a colour scheme?

AndiPandi Wed 05-Feb-14 20:15:57

Grey is very fashionable at the moment and a soft grey would go well with ox blood sofas.

Rooble Wed 05-Feb-14 20:18:45

We just painted ours Farrow&Ball "String" - gloss is white, ceiling and above picture rail are red. Carpet a kind of heathered beige colour. Curtains are dark red/gold. It's a Victorian room.

Rooble Wed 05-Feb-14 20:19:45

??? Ceiling is white, not red. I made it sound like we live in a womb.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 05-Feb-14 20:43:11

Thanks Andipandi but I think grey might be too trendy for me. We will not be redecorating this room for years, so I don't want anything that will go out of fashion iykwim.
Rooble - that room sounds lovely. Do you mind me a asking where you got the curtains from?

ICantFindAFreeNickName Thu 06-Feb-14 12:02:35

Bumping for the daytime crowd

Nyancat Thu 06-Feb-14 21:30:25

I just did similar style room in farrow and ball, ball green with white ceiling and above picture rail. it's green but not.green.iyswim. I've other living room done in.dulux potato.cake with neutral tweed sofas and muted red cushions, it's lovely warm colour.

EverybodysStressyEyed Sat 22-Feb-14 22:59:45

not sure if you've chosen yet but i love Little greene dark pearl for a traditional lounge. using one of the off white colours like slaked lime for wood/ceiling

i think it would go really well with the sofas too

EverybodysStressyEyed Sat 22-Feb-14 23:00:59

not too dissimilar to the ball green mentioned!

the little greene has a lovely way of changing colour with the light

TeeBee Sun 23-Feb-14 00:13:50

Haute couteur, by Crown I think. I have it in my lounge and it goes great with deep red. It's a dark yellows colour.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Sun 23-Feb-14 20:05:26

Thanks for the latest ideas. Have not chosen yet, as still waiting for the plastering to be done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now