Talk

Advanced search

Spending money on house before moving?

(10 Posts)
SilverSixpence Tue 28-Jan-14 17:11:01

We are doing some decorating/DIY on our house but plan to move within a few years - is it worth spending the money if we won't be able to take it with us? Eg alcove shelving, curtains, flooring etc. I just find the house a bit depressing as it is and can't wait that long!

Lagoonablue Tue 28-Jan-14 19:37:23

I would do it. I would avoid big expensive projects but shelves, curtains etc would not be too expensive. Plus doesn't sound like you are moving imminently.

SilverSixpence Tue 28-Jan-14 22:03:39

We have just had house valuation done and they said work will make no difference to the value of the house so it is really just for me us. DH is not keen on spending much but all the work will end up being something like 4k roughly with the new flooring! He thinks this is a lot for a house we won't be in for more than about 2-3 years.

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-Jan-14 22:32:18

sounds like a lot to me! shelves would be cheap and curtains should be ok. flooring - could you have a nice rug?

Lagoonablue Thu 30-Jan-14 11:53:01

Living in a depressing house for 3 years is a long time though!

MrsSteptoe Thu 30-Jan-14 11:59:19

If you're in there for 2-3 years, you do want to enjoy them. I would say that £4,000 is a reasonable sum of money to make your home really enjoyable for 2-3 years, but (a) how much money to spend is always relative depending on your income or assets, (b) it depends how important the way your home feels is to you (it's important to me, but perhaps less so to some people, I don't know) and (c) if you're going to do it, do it NOW! Don't leave it 18 months and then enjoy it for the last six months!

DontCallMeBaby Sat 01-Feb-14 20:22:00

Even when improvements don't add actual value, they can make a house SELL! A house that's a bit depressing now isn't likely to be snapped up after two or three years' wear and tear, is it? Add that to your experience of living in the house for that time, and the fact your plans could change (it would really suck to still be there in four years, wishing you'd done the work now) - it's worth doing.

SilverSixpence Mon 03-Feb-14 10:49:41

Thanks all, I think we will probably go ahead with it, the house has increased in value quite significantly since we bought it and the area has become popular, but that just means it would sell without any improvements according to estate agents. I can't wait to sort out the dingy front room smile

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 03-Feb-14 16:10:36

I would do it unless it was something that would put a lot of people off, like a swimming pool.

I put in a woodburner last year and it won't look like good value if we move this year but most people seem to want them and I agree with Dontcallmebaby, this kind of thing can sell the house.

It is always worth considering an extension/conservatory/orangery if you are planning to move and need to get the best price!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now