Talk

Advanced search

teal for a NE facing room?

(16 Posts)
EverybodysStressyEyed Sat 18-Jan-14 20:58:12

I would love a teal dining room but concerned because it is NE facing

the room is reasonably large but on each wall there is a big cover;
1) door and big dresser
2) large sash window with large frame and window seat (covers half the wall)
3) fireplace with large mirror above, large painting
4) entry to kitchen with decorative frame, just over half the width

very high ceiling with picture rail and decorative cornice - picture rail and above cornice plus all woodwork would be white

it is a bright room and we also get light through the kitchen

DH's contribution was 'what's wrong with white walls?'

so what do you think people with an eye for colour!!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 19-Jan-14 09:03:01

Teal is a lavish colour ! Will look very dramatic ! I have seen it in a dining room mixed with blood red rug and seat pads with dark oak furniture ! That was in a small Victorian terrace - not much natural daylight - so they had lots of interesting lamps ! It worked !! If you have white above the picture rail and white skirting etc like you mentioned - then I think it will balance out well ! Take a picture and use a doodle app to colour wash the walls before - just to make sure !

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 19-Jan-14 10:48:03

I didn't know you could get an app that did that. Will try it out and try and convince dh it will look good!

Thanks!

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 19-Jan-14 21:21:12

Bump

Kitttty Sun 26-Jan-14 02:10:24

Would the teal be more stunning over the picture rail and on the ceiling - so that you had a great big swath of it - so that it wasn't broken up by lots of door/window frames etc?

VestaCurry Sun 26-Jan-14 02:20:28

I think you should paint a good amount of wall in the room in question with 2/3 tester pots and see how the colour changes throughout the day. I have always done this and it had really helped my decision about whether colours were right for a particular space.

Lagoonablue Sun 26-Jan-14 08:14:58

1 wall in teal? Paler on the others.

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 26-Jan-14 09:49:54

Can't do ceiling as we have decorative cornicing which I don't want blocked up with a dark paint (especially if I decide I hate it!)

The room is currently white and feels really cold even though it is a creamy white.

On the same side of the house we have grey and green rooms and during the day they seem much bluer and with artificial light much pinker/greener.

I'm tempted by little greene marine although might try citrine. Normally I'm very decisive on colour but I just can't decide this time!!

VestaCurry Tue 28-Jan-14 01:46:00

I love the colour of citrines

EverybodysStressyEyed Tue 28-Jan-14 12:56:12

I've decided to go for the marine blue

After seeing the rest of the house dh has said he will trust me but if it is horrible then I am fully responsible for repainting!

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-Jan-14 15:00:34

sounds lovely. bit late now if you have got the colour but we have gone for a teal ish in our large bedroom - it is b&as dazzle I think. its lush!

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-Jan-14 15:01:35

ps I have that conversation with my dh the whole time! it did cause me to back track once with a lighter colour halfway through but otherwise so far so good grin.

EverybodysStressyEyed Tue 28-Jan-14 15:15:43

He had a panic at the weekend when he realised the colour in the hall was for the landings and stairs too! Not sure how he thought it was going to work otherwise!

I haven't bought the paint - I will have a look at dazzle

SwedishEdith Thu 30-Jan-14 20:12:53

Oh, we've got LG Marine blue behine some shelves. I love it, it's gorgeous. Bit wasted there, tbh,as it's largely hidden so looking for more places to use it.

I also bought Citrine as I thought it'd be a great colour in a bathroom. It's not hmm Three coats of white later, it's still grinning through. I will use it somewhere though

EverybodysStressyEyed Thu 30-Jan-14 21:17:01

I love little greene paints.

Glad you like it! I hope it looks good in our dining room! Just need to buy a big mirror and that room is done!

EverybodysStressyEyed Sat 22-Feb-14 22:49:53

update!

so I went for it and the marine blue looks great and even dh likes it! also makes our hallway seem brighter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now