Talk

Advanced search

antique wooden furniture - websites & warehouses

(9 Posts)
kmini Sun 05-Jan-14 10:00:10

Originally posted this on the prop/dyi section. Perhaps this is a better place for it. smile

I want to do some scouring of antiques warehouses for some furnitures pieces. Sideboards, wardrobes, bedheads. I like doing the sanding, painting etc myself, so not sites where you paying for them to glam up old furniture like scumble goosie etc.

Any suggestions for websites. Alternatively happy to trawl antique houses/warehouses close to London.

Thanks

Nepotism Sun 05-Jan-14 19:51:44

I would set up an ebay search within x distance of your home. You'll get emails every day. Look up local house clearance companies and ask them to let you know when they've got something you may be interested in. Ditto your local dump! Finally, lots of auction houses are now online. Good luck!

SilverSixpence Tue 07-Jan-14 17:57:13

Where are you in London? I'm in SE London and know of a few places locally

PrimalLass Wed 08-Jan-14 12:39:56

Ebay, Gumtree and charity junk shops.

Deux Wed 08-Jan-14 12:48:23

There is a large antiques market including traders from France at Kempton Park racecourse. It opens from about 6 am, best time to go. It's on every second Tuesday, from memory.

Can't link right now but they have a website.

kmini Fri 10-Jan-14 21:59:39

South west London. Clapham.

I like the sound of kempton park!

hickory Fri 10-Jan-14 22:13:05

Silver sixpence can I ask where you would suggest in SE London?

clara26 Fri 10-Jan-14 22:18:33

Charity shops are the best. Mainly (and this sounds horrible) because they don't know the true value of the pieces they sell. I have a 1930s ercol dining table 6 chairs, a large rocking chair and a massive dresser for £40. They were a bit battered but after painting they look amazing.

I also recommend Annie Sloan chalk paint. Fantastic stuff smile

Sadie83 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:51:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now