Talk

Advanced search

TV/mirror above mantelpiece?

(9 Posts)
coffeeaddict Wed 06-Nov-13 09:12:32

We are moving to a house where the main sitting room has big windows either side of the fireplace. This means locating a TV is difficult. The current owners don't have one in that room but I am realistic - we are going to want one!

My options are: buy a freestanding cabinet and put the TV in that (but it will block some light/views). Or buy one of those flat TVs that converts to a mirror and have it above the mantelpiece. But will we crane our necks watching? Will it be agony? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks!

QueenBoudicea Wed 06-Nov-13 09:16:44

Don't have it above the fireplace - o think it really spoils the look of a room.
And yes - you'll probably end up with a crick in your neck!

wonkylegs Wed 06-Nov-13 14:42:47

Don't have it above the fireplace it's too high for normal watching. It's ok in hotels etc for occasional watching, but not for everyday.

BlessThisMess Wed 06-Nov-13 15:03:48

We have our Tv above the fireplace and it's fine. No cricks in our necks!

HaveToWearHeels Wed 06-Nov-13 16:15:15

Please do not put it above the fireplace, really spoils a room IMO.

coffeeaddict Mon 11-Nov-13 12:01:48

Hmm, I think we will think again... thanks everyone!

suebfg Tue 12-Nov-13 21:03:39

Maybe consider getting rid of the fireplace and putting your TV on the wall? (Depends on the room/type of property though)

LonelyLinda Tue 19-Nov-13 14:15:22

I was told that you shouldn't have tv above the fireplace, something about the heat ruining the tv? (could just be a ploy by dp to save re-wiring tv though).

LonelyLinda Tue 19-Nov-13 14:15:41

I was told that you shouldn't have tv above the fireplace, something about the heat ruining the tv? (could just be a ploy by dp to save re-wiring tv though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now