Talk

Advanced search

Furniture Wax

(2 Posts)
Lucybee1974 Mon 13-May-13 10:04:29

I've used a furniture wax/polish that I thought was safe but a query from my wife about the smell made me research the products ingredients.

It contains turpentine between 10-30% which according to wikipedia is very toxic by inhalation. The jar itself says nothing about it being dangerous other than can sensitise the skin and flammable. The crazy thing is I stopped using spary polish because I thought that was dangerous and looked for a more natural beeswax paste and purchased this product because the only danger I could see was that it was flammable.

I've used it about 3 times but my worries concern a 3 month old baby and the potential for damage to the central nervous system. She seems fine I'm still very angry with myself for using it.

wonkylegs Mon 13-May-13 17:24:10

Beeswax and Natural turps polish is a very well used polish and is generally non toxic to children however it can be an irritant to some. Personally I wouldn't polish with it when very small kids were in the room with me but once it's all rubbed in it should be fine. The turps dissipates in air very quickly (the strong smell) due to it high flammability, leaving the beeswax on your furniture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now