Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a colour for my kitchen.

(20 Posts)
notso Wed 08-May-13 15:40:13

Kitchen needs repainting desperately, but can't decide what colour.
Floor is slate.
Units are cream high gloss.
Worktop is wood effect.
Tiles are cream, browny-terracotta and a stone/putty type colour.
It a very long room with only one window in the middle so it's quite dark.
I want it to look really different but don't want to make it even darker.

Roshbegosh Wed 08-May-13 21:47:47

I was thinking of just walnut but maybe you need something with a bit of contrast to all the soft taupey colours.

notso Thu 09-May-13 09:57:49

Thanks Rosh I was going to go for a soft green and cream but bloody PIL did their kitchen up. Copied ours and painted it green angry.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 09-May-13 09:59:04

Duck egg!

I love a bit of duck egg.

oh, maybe not with terracotta sad

notso Thu 09-May-13 10:11:47

I also love duck egg.

<<shakes fist at terracotta tiles>>

Not much seems to go with terracotta.

Chippychop Sat 11-May-13 17:29:30

I'm thinking a neutral wall colour (pointing/ or some form off white) with highlights of lime green - maybe in a painting or a feature wall or blinds or something. Lime green is modern, will look lovely with gloss units and wooden tips

Chippychop Sat 11-May-13 17:30:51

And even wooden "tops" oh and definitely terracotta

Roshbegosh Sat 11-May-13 17:33:34

Linnet white might be good with the lime green, or maybe not, depends if you want a similar tone r a contrast. Don't know why I suggest anything on these, no one is less decisive than me. I get there in the end but sometimes have to repaint walls.

notso Sun 12-May-13 16:49:48

Oooh new ideas! Thanks.
Am going to have a play with some tester pots, not considered lime green before.

spaghettina Sun 12-May-13 17:45:10

What kind of green have your PIL got? Lime sounds good (I was going to suggest sage green...)

notso Sun 12-May-13 18:43:17

Theirs is Dulux Putting Green exactly the green I was going to go for angry
DH isn't sure about lime, he says it's too funky hmm

benlinus Mon 13-May-13 12:17:39

Color charts will help ... They are available in every store, Home Depot, etc. .. But you can also buy a small jar of paint and try to make a painting of a small part of ur wall ... what would be the best way to paint a buyer before you regret later

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 13-May-13 12:32:34

I have a cream gloss kitchen and have Dulux dusted Fondant which is a chalky pale plummy sort of colour.

I was a bit unsure whether to risk it but it looks amazing. I played safe and only had it one wall in it and more neutral on the others but wish I'd done all walls in it nowsmile.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 13-May-13 12:36:31

Oh just saw the terracotta tile aspect.

Hmm not sure it'd go with that...Probably greens are your best bet. Or embrace the terracotta theme.

notso Mon 13-May-13 12:37:43

Plummy! I like the sound of that, would you put that with terracotta?

soontobeslendergirl Mon 13-May-13 12:45:50

I was going to suggest a soft green grin The colour you have posted is very similar to my kitchen and and hall and staircase and spare room I have a mixed colour called Green Briar and in the lightest shade (6) - I love it as you can probably tell

I have cream units, an oak floor, pale wood worktops (wasn't us that put the kitchen in) and burgundy tile splashback. The green goes lovely - I have a roman blind that has a touch of green and deep pinky red on a cream background and it matches in really nice - in the diningroom I have a sort of faded red style denim feel curtains. In the spare room it's red ginham - sounds horrible but looks lovely.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 13-May-13 12:46:39

I'm in two minds..Argh I'm not a lot of help! I'm the sort that has to it see up tbhgrin. But worth a tester to see.

My kitchen is quite an obvious sort of cream as opposed to off white. I didn't think it'd work but it does.

soontobeslendergirl Mon 13-May-13 12:59:40

Actually looking at the actual tester bit of that green your in-laws have, i'd say mine is paler and creamier. They don't do a chart for it anymore but you can still get a pot (and tester) made up for it. I get it in endurance so that it is wipeable and a bit more robust.

If you are interested, the mix code is 90YY76160 - Green Briar 6

spaghettina Tue 14-May-13 11:30:25

How about a golden, pale ochre kind of shade? Just a thought...

notso Tue 14-May-13 11:50:39

Thanks for the help all smile

Chewing X-posts earlier. I love that plummy colour, but it's not good with terracotta. I am keeping it in mind for my front room though which is next on the agenda!

soontobeslendergirl Thanks for your recommendation, I love green! Your home sound lovely.

spaghettina I think you might be onto something there. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now