Talk

Advanced search

Carpet question?

(8 Posts)
thebestpossibletaste Tue 09-Apr-13 20:51:39

We live in a new build, well, it's 7 years old now, we bought it carpeted but now the carpet looks awful, flattened and the stains won't come out.Must have been cheap. I have about £600 to spend on new carpet for stairs, small narrow landing and medium sized bedroom. Any recommendations or will it cost me a lot more than that?

What should I be looking out for, twist or loop or something like coconut matting, what lasts well and looks good? Thinking of a grey tone or neutral as staircase and landing are white without windows and bedroom painted pale grey.

Thanks for any advice.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 09-Apr-13 23:30:41

Do you not want to consider some hard flooring? We have QUickstep and it is FABULOUS. We also live in a new build. We kept carpet upstairs but were so glad to see it go downstairs.

thebestpossibletaste Wed 10-Apr-13 08:59:38

The carpet is for upstairs - we've replaced the carpet downstairs with laminate.

I think laminate will be too loud upstairs and I'm not keen on vinyl although we do have it in the bathroom and ensuite. Also I think laminate will be more expensive than carpet, especially as I'd also need a rug to put down in the bedroom?

Anything we choose will have to be laid and fitted as we are no good at diy so can't fit laminate or carpet!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Apr-13 23:11:23

I don't have any recommendations but one of our bedrooms cost £350 for a mid range carpet and a decent underlay recently.

thebestpossibletaste Thu 11-Apr-13 08:55:48

That's quite a lot, I probably won't have enough to carpet stairs and landing too then.

Did you go for pure wool or a mix of wool and synthetic?

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 12:00:26

When you get the carpet companies round tell them how much you have for the whole job.They will do it for that I am sure.I have had grey sisal in the past and it looks feels and wears brilliantly!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Apr-13 22:23:57

It was a mix, hopefully quite hard wearing.

thebestpossibletaste Sat 13-Apr-13 08:31:51

Thanks. I'll ask them to bring sisal samples when I ask them round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now