Talk

Advanced search

how to revive my kitchen?

(18 Posts)
idiuntno57 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:20:13

my kitchen is more than 30 yrs old and looks it. A lot of the drawers are broken and it is just soooo 80's brown. We are super skint. Any ideas for a low cost transformation?

cocolepew Tue 09-Apr-13 19:22:11

Paint the cupboards, try to fix the drawers?

Pannacotta Tue 09-Apr-13 19:56:00

Can you post a photo on your profile so we can have a nosey and advise you?
HArd to know what to suggest otherwise.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Tue 09-Apr-13 20:05:14

No help but we're in the same position

Our doors have been painted, which brightens things up, but the drawers are collapsing, held together with tape and I dread to think what is down the gaps at the back of the cupboards where the backs have fallen off

I've considered ripping the whole lot out and making do with a table and a sideboard (that we've got). The cooker is freestanding, I guess the dink would need something to support it

I don't know....

idiuntno57 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:10:38

not sure how to do the photo thing but will investigate.

Apparently the cupboards are not paintable. i was wondering if there was some sort of magic film I could cover them in.

cocolepew Tue 09-Apr-13 21:25:01

Why are they not paintable? If there is laminate over them you can usually rip it off. You can get paint to cover anything nowadays. One of the cheap home magazines has a free booklet in it this month promoting spray paint. It is brushable as well and covers everything.

Smiles26 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:48:13

idiuntno57, where are you located?

idiuntno57 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:56:03

London

PourquoiPas Tue 09-Apr-13 23:01:04

We took out the drawers, painted tiles and put on new laminate and doors from ikea. Cost £300 for the lot and looks soooooo much better. Not perfect as doors a little bit too small but old kitchen was awful so much improved.

Summer115 Wed 10-Apr-13 08:49:44

Repaint it and use some beads or other articles to decorate it.

rubyrubyruby Wed 10-Apr-13 08:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pannacotta Wed 10-Apr-13 09:45:02

I agree with the others I would do some tarting up and paint or spray the doors, you can paint over any surface these days even cheap laminate.
A handyman ought to be able to fix the drawers/doors for you if you cant work out how to and new worktop will make a huge difference.

SOme links here for ideas
www.kitchensrenew.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=8

www.kitchenrevamp.com/before-and-after-.html

www.ineedanewkitchen.co.uk/painted-kitchens.html

idiuntno57 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:15:40

thank you all

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 10-Apr-13 18:24:41

keep the carcasses, but get new doors and worktops?
we had to replace a worktop this week, as we had a big hole in one. The replacement was £30 for 180cm at IKEA.

sarahswimming Wed 08-May-13 15:26:33

quite often adding some colour to your kitchen will brighten it up and give it a freshness

if you do not want to paint then changing some of the furniture can have the desired effect

there are a host of non standard colour kitchen chairs, tables and bar stools as well as acrylic see through chairs which can really make a difference

i bought some red chairs from www.netfurniture.co.uk and some orange bar stools from www.stoolsonline.co.uk

good luck

sarahswimming Wed 08-May-13 15:27:02

quite often adding some colour to your kitchen will brighten it up and give it a freshness

if you do not want to paint then changing some of the furniture can have the desired effect

there are a host of non standard colour kitchen chairs, tables and bar stools as well as acrylic see through chairs which can really make a difference

i bought some red chairs from www.netfurniture.co.uk and some orange bar stools from www.stoolsonline.co.uk

good luck

benlinus Mon 13-May-13 12:04:23

Try to have some paint on your kitchen wall, Neutral colors are shades of taupe, gray, white and sometimes black. They are great for the base wall color. You can add contrasting colors in either cool or warm tones to add detail and compliment the decor and Paint the cupboards, try to fix the drawers.

itsmummynotmum Mon 13-May-13 13:13:01

Annie Sloan chalk paints are great - google the website...

this is fun (not saying to buy their kitchens smile but get these paint names and the colours may inspire you! saw this morning and really made me chuckle...

[http://www.thehousemag.com/plain_english_paints]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now