Talk

Advanced search

Play rooms and children's bedrooms

(11 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Tue 09-Apr-13 13:31:34

We have three DSs aged 7,5 and 2.

We have a large double room that they all currently share and a smaller single room which we use as a playroom. We are about the embark on some DIY and had a few ideas for the configuration. One is that the boys continue to all sleep together but in the smaller room with bunk beds and a standard single for 2 year old. The larger room would then have a double futon, desk/table, toys etc.

The small room will only fit the beds in and they could walk around but their clothes would need to remain in the larger room which has a built in cupboard and another wardrobe, but cold easily accommodate these.

Does this sound workable? Essentially both rooms would be available to them but they wold be in a rather small space to sleep. But they would oly be sleeping there.

Would this work?

They are happy to continue sharing, but how long might they continue to be happy do you think? I envisage the larger room becoming a sort of study/games room as they get bigger until we have to give one their own room.

Bonsoir Tue 09-Apr-13 15:33:22

I would make the smaller room into a single room for your DS1 - at 7, he will be starting to need some personal space, a desk for homework and a bookcase for his big collection of paperbacks etc. Don't hold him back in his development by making him share with his younger brothers at this stage - he may share again later but at this point give him some space.

Then make the bigger room into a more play-focused shared bedroom for your DS2 and DS3.

Bonsoir Tue 09-Apr-13 15:34:39

Also - boys fight as they grow. I would divide up the space into territory rather than making them share it all as it helps them get on!

mixedmamameansbusiness Tue 09-Apr-13 16:20:33

Ds1 has previously had the smaller room as his room and he asked to share and have the smaller as a playroom originally otherwise it would never have occurred to me to be honest. It possibly didn't help that ds2 was regularly sleeping on the floor in his room. We have talked about it further today and now we are thinking that DS3 have his own room and the other two share as they do lots together and they are keen to have desks each etc.

You make some really interesting points though, but I am not sure if I can split the 7 and 5 year old but maybe some sort of split is a good idea.

Bonsoir Tue 09-Apr-13 17:36:35

Yes, you could make the bigger room the more grown-up room if you think that your DS2 is ready for a desk of his own etc.

Personally I think that buying DCs their own desk sooner rather than later is the way to instil good work habits. We bought DD her desk and chair for her fourth birthday and it became a complete feature of her room and she now loves it and uses it daily (she is 8).

flubba Tue 09-Apr-13 17:46:39

How about your first idea of smaller room as 'sleeping' room but with two sets of bunk beds - one with a desk underneath - then you have the desk situation sorted, and in a room that won't be distracting with toys etc - that could be their sleep and work room, and then the bigger room could continue as a playroom.

Summer115 Wed 10-Apr-13 08:58:47

I think your DSs need more space as they grow up. But your idea maybe ok.

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Apr-13 10:41:15

Thanks everyone. Ds2 is excited and he does get "homework" so is very up for his own desk. I completely agree about the desk situation Bonsoir, I always had one growing up.

Jaynebxl Fri 12-Apr-13 23:03:07

This is interesting. My eldest does his homework at the dining table where I can help him. It hasn't crossed my mind to get a desk in his own room, and I'm not really expecting to for some time yet. So I'd be more up for all play and sleep upstairs and not bothering about making room for homework up there just yet, personally.

soapandhorny Sat 13-Apr-13 02:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 13-Apr-13 08:12:52

We live in a flat so I don't feel the separation of upstairs/downstairs really. That is why we thought to have the playroom/work room. Initially with a large table rather than desks, but either way we can all still be in there together.

We also have them creeping into each others beds and in the morning they all play and Hulu can hear them giggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now