Talk

Advanced search

How ill is too ill to fly??

(15 Posts)
Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 15:07:16

Tomtontom I absolutely understand your point but I will have to follow what the insurance company require us to do (I will be phoning to check).

OP’s posts: |
Tomtontom Fri 22-Feb-19 15:02:02

See the out of hours doctor if she urgently needs medical treatment. Please don't use overstretched resources just to see if she's fit to fly. If you're questioning it, it's safe to say that she'd not.

wigglypiggly Fri 22-Feb-19 15:01:39

Call the insurance people, often you can download the form which the g.p. fills out. Ours charged 30 pounds and it took a month to get it so check if theres a cut off date for claims. You and dd can have quality time together, can you facetime or Skype the others, when shes feeling better take her out for a surprise.

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:58:50

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts. Will be prepared to stay home and get everything in place but also fingers crossed for miraculous recovery tomorrow...

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:57:08

I'll get the forms in place.

Ylvamoon Fri 22-Feb-19 14:56:14

I think if she is as poorly as you describe... don't do it. Your poor DD will have to juggle all the travelling waiting and then being in an strange place... when all she needs is a good rest! Never mind all the other people who are going to catch whatever she has. I'd leave it to last minute, but if she is still poorly as in eating very little and more in bed / sofa than up: call it a day. It really is not fair for anyone least your DD!

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:56:12

Good point re insurance. I guess we need a gp.

wigglypiggly Fri 22-Feb-19 14:54:45

I'd see a doctor as soon as you can as it's only a few days away, if shes tired and poorly she wont want to go skiing in the cold, have you called the insurance company to ask for a claim form in case you and dd decide it's better not to go. I hope she feels better soon. It's no fun being ill in a different country.

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:54:29

Birdie6 - I know. I am concerned about the impact on her and everyone else. Just wasnt sure if I was over-reacting or where the "line" would be.

comeasyouare1 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:53:22

I would see a doctor, but if it is flu, not only is it unfair on your DD to be travelling poorly, there could be people on the flight with weakened immunity, young children etc. All that recycled air on a plane........ 😷😷

endofthelinefinally Fri 22-Feb-19 14:52:02

Your travel insurance will not cover any treatment if it comes to light that she was ill prior to travelling.

Birdie6 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:50:02

Flying could be dangerous to someone with the flu - having a blocked nose and then being in a pressurised cabin, could lead to an ear blockage which would be very painful. Plus she would be spreading her germs around to all the other unfortunate passengers who wouldn't thank you for spoiling their holiday too. Sometimes you have to make an executive decision about your child's health - she sounds quite sick so she needs to see a doctor, not climb on a plane.

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:47:57

Floppy not really the correct word - I guess I just mean fatigued. She's not been to the gp but my vague thoughts are that we might need to go to out if hours if nothing has changed tomorrow for their advice. Yes we could split up if necessary.

wigglypiggly Fri 22-Feb-19 14:44:44

I'd be concerned about being floppy, has she seen a doctor. I wouldn't go until a doctor says she is fit to fly, it's not fair on her or anyone else if she is poorly on the flight or when shes on holiday, she wont enjoy it. How would the family feel about you and dd staying home and the others fo.

Notflyingfree Fri 22-Feb-19 14:41:14

This is a WWYD. We are due to head off skiing on Sunday. DD (12) became ill quite suddenly on Wednesday night. I think she has flu - dizzy, hot, lost voice, cough and v floppy. She has managed to eat small meals, but that's the only positive thing I can say. Assuming she is the same tomorrow would you go? It counts as a major holiday for us - it will be me, Dh, and 2xdc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in