Talk

Advanced search

Spending money for 2 weeks self catering in Greece, 2 adults and 2 older teens

(11 Posts)
SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 22-Feb-19 12:59:41

We went to Roda in NW corfu a couple of years ago, it was lovely.

Our girls are a bit younger and we budgeted about £100 per day for food and drink plus extra for trips, shopping etc.

jocktamsonsbairn Thu 21-Feb-19 18:25:55

Yeah the Sidari water park is the one I mentioned. There's also a big Aqualand near Corfu town.
The Sephora shop is opposite M&S in Corfu town - in the newer part. Dead easy to find. Not far from the port.

maloofhoof Thu 21-Feb-19 07:55:32

jocktamsonsbairn we were thinking of going to Sidari water park, then 2 or 3 different boat trips maybe. Where is the Sephora? My DD15 would adore a visit there!

OP’s posts: |
jocktamsonsbairn Wed 20-Feb-19 22:19:20

Canal D'amour!

jocktamsonsbairn Wed 20-Feb-19 22:18:45

Peroulades is lovely! Sidari is quite busy with lots of Brits but has a lovely sandy beach. That's where the Canal D'amiyr is which is stunning.
There is a hotel in Sidari with about 3 decent sized water slides and you can pay about 5euros to go there for the day. Cheaper than going on a trip to the big water park (worry a trip though but teens are too big for the water park at Acharavi) so it's good for a wee day if teens are wanting something to do.
If you are on FB join the 'Corfu Forum' as you will get loads of info and photos from locals and regulars, what trips do you fancy doing? Paleokastritsa is stunning and you can hire a boat to take you round the caves etc. Corfu town by night is beautiful - especially if you do the boat trip. Bus from resort to Kassiopi then boat. My 2 loved the fact that they could go to McDonalds... teen dd loves the Sephora make up shop and we all love mooching around shops (fab cake shops too!!) etc. You can also do trips to Parga (beautiful) on the mainland, Paxos and Anti Paxos- great swimming and beautiful scenery but a long day of dc aren't good on boats, from Sidari it's easy to go to Erikousa island but not much for dc depending on their interests, or do something differ he and go to Albania for the day!! Lots of island tours etc and you're not too far from the donkey sanctuary if you are animal lovers and hire a car. Lots of Durrell type trips as well!
Well worth popping along to Kassiopi on the bus as it's a gorgeous wee harbour town with a slightly bohemian air! Used to be a bit of an artists enclave so abut if that aura remains even though it's more touristy now. There are still unique shops though so you will get something different, plenty of places to eat/drink and there's a castle too.
Have fun, you will love it!

bringbacksideburns Wed 20-Feb-19 22:16:12

I'd say about £2k if you are planning lots of trips.

maloofhoof Wed 20-Feb-19 22:06:22

jocktamsonsbairn it's called Peroulades, probably spelt that incorrectly! I think it's near Sidari.

jocktamsonsbairn Wed 20-Feb-19 21:58:24

Which resort? I used to live in north Corfu and have holidayed there many times since!! I lived in Roda which is my teens favourite holiday resort!!

maloofhoof Wed 20-Feb-19 20:51:10

Toastie machine is a brilliant idea! Thank you so much for your super helpful reply and money saving tips. I think, like you, that we'll aim to eat dinner out but make do with cereal/toast and lots of toasties. And will definitely take coffee and tea with us. We're going to the north west of Corfu. It's apparently a quiet fishing village but with enough local tavernas for dinners out so hopefully not too expensive. I'm sure we'll venture to a larger town once or twice but aim to spend the majority of the time locally. Thank you again, really appreciate your help.

jocktamsonsbairn Wed 20-Feb-19 20:31:51

I do it on a budget but eat out every night! I'm a single parent with. 2 teens, one of whom would win a gold medal at the Olympic s for eating - like a rake as well!!
For the past few years I have taken a toastie machine with me (just a mini one!) and buy bread, ham and cheese. Then when teens emerge from their bed they can eat as many toasties as they like and it saves me €2.50 a go!! I also take the mini boxes of cereal as they have always been a holiday treat!! I take a wee bag of coffee, a wee 100ml bottle of washing up liquid and one of those wee tiny containers of squash to encourage water drinking!!
Then in resort I buy crisps, snacks, drinks etc at supermarket to keep them going! I tend to have Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast.
Eating out, we tend to have gyros or souvlaki pittas a lot - either kebab meat or grilled cubes of pork/lamb/chicken served with chips, salad and tzatiki in a flat bread. Absolutely amazingly delicious, they fill you up and are cheap! Around €2-3 a time.
While on the beach we have them or another snack. By the pool make our own in apartment.
Eat out at night and I do like my holiday cocktails, wine etc!! I normally spend around £1000 for the 3 of us for 2 weeks so maybe say around d £1500 - £2000 depending on what trips you want to do. Trips can vary in price but if you are booking a few then make sure you go round the local offices and haggle!
It doesn't need to cost a fortune to eat out, just depends on what you choose. Huge mixed grills can be around €12-20 depending on resort and a souvlaki plate around€8-12 again depending on resort,
Buy your vein cream at home as it's expensive in resort and shop/eat where the locals do.
Join FB groups for the place you are going and get recommendations, Santorini or Skiathos will be more expensive than parts of Corfu, Crete for example.
Have fun!! Where are you going?

maloofhoof Wed 20-Feb-19 20:12:56

For the first time since having kids, we've booked a self catering holiday rather than all inclusive. I've no idea how to work out roughly how much spending money we're going to need. I don't intend to prepare food at all, other than maybe the odd sandwich etc. Kids are 17 and 15, plus DP and I. Neither of us are big drinkers. Intend doing maximum of 4 day trips over the two weeks. Does anyone have a formula for deciding how much their daily budget is that I could use. How much do you spend when you're self catering?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in