Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else watching Civilisation on iplayer?

(11 Posts)
lucydogz Wed 28-Feb-18 22:42:45

I'm really enjoying it - and have very little hope that the new series will be half as good.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Sun 11-Mar-18 14:06:01

I've only watched the Olusoga episodes on iPlayer. They were excellent. I have enjoyed but not loved the two televised Schama and Beard episodes.

MichaelBendfaster Tue 13-Mar-18 11:45:22

I've never seen the original. I've only seen the first ep of the new one so far but I thought it was a corker.

The opening bit about Khaled al-Asaad being beheaded was shock and absolutely the way to open the series. You could feel Schama's rage and pain, but also his ferocious determination to interrogate and defend civilisation.

The cave paintings were spine-tingling and the Mycenean ring with the 'first fight scene in history' was jaw-dropping.

The tiny head of a woman was exquisite.

I could go on! Am very behind, obviously, but very much looking forward to the first Mary Beard one, and I love David Olusoga.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 13-Mar-18 16:00:39

For me Olusoga definitely steals the show. Totally agree with your observations and I too have never seen the original. I am a fan of all hree really so it was always going to work on some level for me. Art history is slightly left of my discipline usually but am enjoying the insights.

You are in for some real treats with Olusoga as his episodes include contact with the West and he is great on colonialism etc in my opinion.

MichaelBendfaster Tue 13-Mar-18 16:49:40

he is great on colonialism etc in my opinion.

He certainly was in A House Through Time recently. I think he's terrific.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 13-Mar-18 21:39:57

I could literally talk about A House Through Time for hours and am actually writing one of my university assignments on it (well TV history but with this as the case study).

MichaelBendfaster Wed 14-Mar-18 10:05:57

I wrote a very gushing email to the BBC to tell them how much I loved it and that I hoped they'd give him another series.

It's such a great idea that potentially it could just run and run.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Wed 14-Mar-18 13:48:57

Hahah, do we need to rename this the David Olusoga Appreciation Thread.

MichaelBendfaster Wed 14-Mar-18 16:05:12

Or start one grin

MercedesDeMonteChristo Wed 14-Mar-18 17:44:22

Though it seems a fan club of two at the moment

MichaelBendfaster Wed 14-Mar-18 23:34:26

We've scared everyone else off...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: