Talk

Advanced search

Viet Nam war

(4 Posts)
graysor Wed 11-Oct-17 08:30:09

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books about the Viet Nam war? I'm watching a bbc 4 series about the war, which is fascinating and awful. And I'd like to find out more. I never studied it at school, and knew next to nothing before watching this series.
Any good suggestions? Thanks!

Childrenofthestones Wed 03-Oct-18 07:00:00

Anyone into the Vietnam War there is a storyville documentary on the iPlayer at the moment all about the Fall of Saigon

BananaDrama589 Sun 04-Nov-18 05:25:27

Suggest looking up Cu Chi tunnels and open air museum, Hoa Lo prison museum, Hanoi museum.

MillytantForceit Sun 10-Mar-19 10:58:40

Max Hastings has a new one out. His book on Korea was superb.

Most of the books on the subject are written by Americans and focus too much on one side, 55.000 dead vs 2 million. If you study the conflict outside the USA, you learn to call it "The American War in South East Asia."

The Ken Burns documentary on Netflix gives the US side of the story well, and there is a book to go with it.

Of the first person accounts, the one recommended to me on my degree course thirty odd years ago was Neil Sheehan's "A Bright Shinng Lie," but the one I found that really got to me was the graphic photo journalism of "Tim Page's 'Nam"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: